• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Close Your Eyes and Wish

Di.Poppitt

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
It's already July and soon we wil see the first Christmas cards in the shops. :D

In those days long gone our Christmas always started in October. The table was cleared and an oilcloth put on its polished top, and I dragged out a chair to kneel on to watch the mixing of the Christmas Pudding.
In went the flour and spices, the fat was rubbed in then the currants and sultana's which had all been picked over to remove the stalks. Then the candied peel, which I loved, was floured lightly and added before it was all mixed together by hand. Brown ale was poured in slowly from the jug, and the smell by this time was enough to have stayed with me forever, and when I think about it rolls all my Christmas's into one.

'Close your eyes and wish' mom said, and it took all the strength in that little wrist to stir the mixture. At some point mom managed to slip in the silver threepenny bits before tying up the tops of the pudding basins. first she cut a ring of greaseproof paper and laid it over the top of the pud, if she couldn't get greaseproof she would use paper that she had saved from the butter ration, then a square piece of cotton was tied with string around the edge of the basin and the four corners caught up and tied two by two into the middle. It was then boiled in the wash boiler for ever :!: We ate one on Christmas day, and another went on the high kitchen shelf where it sat until Easter.

Christmas cards

Well...they're definately on sale now Diana.. 8)

Christmas Food...

:D My Mom was a wiz at making Christmas Cakes 8) . All done to a very similar procedure to your puddings Di. We kids would fight over who licked the spoons used and the big treat was to scrape out the mixing bowls when all was finished and in the oven cooking. But well betide anyone, child or adult who so much as jumped or bounced on the floor while the cakes were in the oven. :)

I still make a Christmas cake Pom, but until this last year I :roll: 've not handed out the mixing bowl for fear of Salmonella from our eggs. Now the lion stamp means it's licking time again

Yes Kandy, my pud comes from Mr Tesco :roll:

Back