• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifford Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
two nice pics of clifford st...

orininally posted by ray griffiths....

lyn

Lyn, the lst pic is a great photo of Clifford Street looking down to the Bartons Arms, so much more character than the soulless place it is today.
BTW my mother was born in Clifford Street in 1900

hi sylvia..couldnt agree more with you....that pic is far more pleasing on the eye than the view we get now....

lyn

Thankyou for posting those pics - I lived in William Street, just visible on the left in the photo. I was born there in 1953 and used to walk to Alma Street school - just around the corner on the right in the photo - great memories !!!

bit off thread but heres a pic of william st...

astoness

Thankyou SO much - I can't believe it !! I've been trying to get pictures of my old street for years !! That looks like Gower Street on the left in the pic - the corner shop was run by a Mrs Hall - Id guess this was taken around the time they started to knock it all down - 1965 I think -

I would like to ask anyone on the site who has a picture of William Street to post it ( or any memories of it )

Great pic - again, thankyou SO much !!!

although i posted this pic it was originally posted by ray griffiths...i know just how you feel as he also found me one of villa street where i spent my childhood...still cant stop looking at it...

lyn

2 lovely pics of Clifford Street just how i remember it
the no 8 inner circle use to go up Clifford street in
later years while the high street was being rebult .
you can see people waiting at the bus stop which
was the stop for the no 5 , 7 and 8 bus service.
ragga ...

Hi trying to trace gordon england who lived in clifford street and worked at all saints hospital in 1954 1957 thanks

Trying to find any information or photos of Clifford Street in the 1920's
My Gt Grandad had a business called S Green & Sons Ltd, they were a haulage firm that was nationalised in 1948

The fathers name was Samuel Green & one of his sons (my gt grandad) was Harry Green (Married Doris Dearden)

Thanks in advance

hi lyn
they was great pics and great memories ;
but that had to be the worse thing and the saddest day what birmingham had done in those you could walk out in the summer months and strut up to the gun makers arms or the union even down to the barton shareholders or down the lane to the washinton
but now you have to drink at home for the reasons being
best wishes astonian ;;;;

I lived in John st by the Newtown palace picture house.two great pictures
of Clifford St.on the corner you used to have the Globe cinema and a
amusement arcade.we used to call it the monkey run all the way to six ways.
great days.

Richard, the Globe and the amusement arcade were on opposite corners of New Street/High Street. I used to frequent the arcade, and traisped up and down the monkey run. Were you one of the boys that just had to comb his hair while looking in the mirrors of shop doorways? particularly Blacks where we used to congregate if it rained.

Hi Sylvia your so right always hanging around Blacks.used to go to the Orient picture house
come out of there go next door have Cockles and Peas.can't remember the name of the shop.we have probably spoken to each other at them times.by the waqy nice to meet you.
regards.

hi richard...i remember our mom and dad fetching cockles and peas from around there when we lived in villa street...not sure if its the same shop as the one you mentioned but if memory serves me right im certain the one they used was on a corner....

lyn

Richard, the Globe and the amusement arcade were on opposite corners of New Street/High Street. I used to frequent the arcade, and traisped up and down the monkey run. Were you one of the boys that just had to comb his hair while looking in the mirrors of shop doorways? particularly Blacks where we used to congregate if it rained.
Hiya Sylvia. Thats where my parents met, on the old Monkey run. Though at the time, she said, she fancied someone else. "Her sisters future husband"
It wouldn't surprise me if you were there at the same time.

Hi Sylvia your so right always hanging around Blacks.used to go to the Orient picture house
come out of there go next door have Cockles and Peas.can't remember the name of the shop.we have probably spoken to each other at them times.by the waqy nice to meet you.
regards.
Going slightly off thread here. But as someone who was born almost opposite the Orient and go to the Saturday Matinee's there, I felt compeled to reply. As for the Cockles and Muscles shop!! our kid "LOVED" his jellied eels. He ate the jelly too, used to make me feel sick, For me!! it was Mushy Peas, loads of Vinegar!! every time. LOVELY!!!

thats it mike...it was hawkins..most definately...was it on a corner or maybe i got that bit wrong...

lyn

Hawkins was just down from the corner of Park Lane, the No.8 bus crossed that corner, which I think was a Co-op dry cleaners, then a secondhand shop, then Hawkins it had multi-coloured rectangular glass panes. I have never liked shell fish, jellied eels etc., but my parents and eldest sister did so I was sometimes sent to get them some.

Reg I think your parents were probably a bit older than me, but Richard as you are the same age as me our paths probably crossed on the monkey run, or the at the Orient, did you go on Sunday afternoons? we used to queue down the side waiting for it to open about 3.30 or 4 p.m. The staff must have dreaded it, all young teenagers!!!

Jesus!! Sylvia. What a fantastic memory you've got, as I was reading your post it was coming back to me, what Hawkins looked like. Its a pity we can't plug that photographic memory of yours into a computer and download all your pictures, I wish I could remember what day I went to the Orient, I thought it was on Saturdays for the Matinee's, but I could be wrong! it was only the late 50s into the 60s that I used to go. But it all seems a bit vague now.

I do remember, my Aunt working there as an usherette. Maureen Coley, we used to get the odd free choc ice when she was walking down to the front.

Your description of Hawkins coloured glass, was amazing!! took me right back to the counter, that did.!! Thanks Sylivia,

Thanks Richard for confirming this. All these great places from the past. There's part of me that needs to know exactly where they were.

best wishes, gary

Dear all hope you all are well i am trying to locate some old photos of Gladstone place on clifford street in aston ward would be grateful to anyone you may have any to share regards bowdler

My husbands family lived in Clifford St until the mid 50s,name Robins does anybody remember them,Irene,Norman,Sid,Olive also known as Pat

Back