• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Clay Lane Yardley

PianoTunerA440

Hello all, I have a couple of questions regarding Clay Lane prior to the 'new' houses being built opposite the Journey's End.

Was the immigration office located there, on or near the site of the current driving test centre?
Was the driving test centre built for it's current purpose or was it ever a driving school (eg BSM)? If not, was there a BSM or other driving school located near here?

Thanks in advance.

Hello all, I have a couple of questions regarding Clay Lane prior to the 'new' houses being built opposite the Journey's End.

Was the immigration office located there, on or near the site of the current driving test centre?
Was the driving test centre built for it's current purpose or was it ever a driving school (eg BSM)? If not, was there a BSM or other driving school located near here?

Thanks in advance.
Not sure about an immigration office being there but around 1964/65 I obtained my first passport (A British Visitor's Passport valid for 12 months) from the buildings there, possibly from the Dept. for Works and Pensions.

My photograph of this location may help. I see that an old map marks this complex as Government Offices. You can see Yardley Cemetery in the background.

South-Yardley---Clay-Lane-G.jpg

clay lane.South Yardley test centre is one of the hardest places to pass your driving test in the country.

1582983682278.png

Although this picture postcard says Clay Lane I cant place it. At the time it would have been taken I cant see any evidence of housing until you reach Lyndon Farm and Lincoln Road?
1592462794420.png

Ps the government offices at the end of the lane, towards the Journeys End Pub, also housed an employment office. Another employment office existed at the Yew Tree, where I got my NI number

Last edited:
Back