• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

City Centre Market Trader - Bbc2 Documentary

tali

master brummie
Does anyone remember a BBC2 documentary about a brash City Centre Market Trader called Mark Gill Carson? He was of Eygptian descent and had a liking for Caribbean women and lived in Solihull
He afaik dealt in crockery and not foodstuffs
I think he was based at the Wholesale Markets on Pershore St and drove a Toyota jeep number plate MC33- (which i saw previously on a Mercedes few years earlier prominently parked outside there)
It was shown sometime in 1990s @9pm and never repeated

Will ask my brother in law when he get's back off his holidays. He was a market trader up there most of his working life know as Brian the watch. He retired last year but I am sure he would have watched it. Made a note of the name in my little black book. Jean.

Brian came round today and told me that Mark Gill Carson still has his business up town but other people run it for him. He does not however remember the documentary. His nick name is Mad Mick. Jean.

Thanks for info - any idea of his business name?

Also i managed eventually to find info the programme

SHORT STORIES: The PITCHER

(1994)
Copyright date Not available Production start date Not available Production end date Not available Production countries

• Great Britain

NotesNew series. Library Synopsis

Documentary based on a week in the life of Mick Gill Carson who claims to be the cheapest man in the country. He buys his goods at rock bottom prices and resells them cheap, pulling in the market crowd with his gift of the gab.

Top five credits

DirectorCLIFFORD, MichaelProduction CompanyEndboard ProductionsProducerWALIA, YugeshProducerWALIA, SunandanEditorBARKER, Nigel
More...
Top five cast

TV Transmission

SHORT STORIES: The PITCHER

Transmission date05/1995CountryGreat BritainSeries/Slot Not available Start time Not available Stop time Not available Duration Not available Company Channel FourChannel Not available
Transmission date27/07/1994CountryGreat BritainSeries/Slot SHORT STORIESStart time20:30Stop time21:00Duration30 mins. Company Channel FourChannel Channel Four

Will ask Brian later but he said he is Mad Mick. That's what all his market trader friends call him. Brian is called Brian the watch. Catch you later. Jean.

Noticed near to Markets on iirc Dudley/Pershore St underpass there is a store called simply" Micks" i'm guessing that is his

There is a stall in that area which sells quality items cheap like M&S Jewellery, electronic clocks, electric scales and leather handbags etc. I stopped and had a gander yesterday but it was early so not all the items were on the stall. I remember last year looking for some raffle prizes for the forum and you couldn't get near the stall. One of the other market traders came up and said isn't this brilliant just how it used to be, I am sure this is the stall your talking about. I know Brian as well his watches are great. Would you believe he used to sell them at our local market in Wales where we have a caravan........small world. A lot of comments about the markets not being as good well it's like everywhere there are good and bad. I bought a Jane Norman dress ring for £1 and a couple of yards of beautiful Taffeta for £4 then went on to the meat market and bought a massive bag of chicken breasts for £20 good job we took the shopping trolly.

Back