• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Christopher Collins Ltd

R

red-kites

Does anyone have any information about Christopher Collins Ltd of St Paul's Sq. One of my relatives, Ernest HS Fiddler is listed as KIA on a first world war memorial for the company. I believe they were lamp makers, but would like any further information.
Nick Fielding

Hi Nick, my grandad was a lorry driver after coming home from the first world war. Down the years I have inherited lots of family documents and photos and amongst them was a tatty old photo of a lorry owned by Christopher Collins of St. Pauls Square rigged out for some sort of celebration . I believe that the chap driving it is George Swann, my grandfather. It's the only reason I can think of for him keeping it. I've smartened it up on my pc and had it colourised and it's a great improvement to the state it was in before. I hope this is of interest to you. Cheers, Rob Swann.

hi rob and welcome....i am afraid that nick is now only a guest member so unless he rejoins will not be able to reply to you however we would love to see that photo you have...cheers

lyn

Hi Lyn, thanks for that. I did try to upload the photo but unfortunately it didn't work. I'll have another go. Cheers.....Just tried again and the file is too large. Will resize it.

Many thanks for the photo. I have just found out (via the 1921 Census) that my great uncle, Harry Moore, was a brass polisher at Christopher Collins.
Collins did in fact make lamps and I have attached a copy of the relevant page showing their activities from the 1918 Directory of Manufacturers in Engineering and Allied Trades
In the First World War they seem to have made Trench Lanterns, some lit by a candle and collapsable. Some with metal cases, like a dark lantern. These days a few have been converted into table lamps.
th-3078821986.jpeg

Last edited:
Back