• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christmas presents best ,worst ,and inappropriate

Good, I am glad. My last posting about my family was all true. The three step relatives are very doddery now and I visit them at least once a fortnight because we were bought up as a large family. We were all together for Xmas and birthday parties etc. My wifes only brother died a few weeks ago so we have each other and our son.
Glad you like the sewings. I am posting my favourite one tomorrow. I had it made into a firescreen for my son when he bought his house.

Carol, I am sorry, it was not until after several postings on the subject that I realised you and Big Gee were serious. Both you and he are surely very nice people to be so considerate to a stranger.
Happy New Year to you.

The best present I heard of this year was a fire extinguisher for the kitchen.
We was at some friends last night and they said their son bought them one as a present. It seemed a bit odd at first and then we thought about it and then came to the conclusion,what a brilliant present. After all, it could save their lives one day, and what better present can you have, but life.

Terry

BigGee, I saw an item on TV a few days ago about your helicopter thingie, it was designed by a 20 year old, a local lad I believe, he took a year out from univ to develop it, learn Chinese and went to China looking at the toy factories over there before deciding who was best to manufacture it. What great enterprise in a young man. Hope you master the art of flying yours.

Big Gee, I know this isnt the thread for this conversation but I have to tell you about a friend who used to build and fly model Helicoptors and airplanes. He used to fly them over the local park but that has been stopped now. Health & Safety and all that. He once made a flying saucer and we went to Skegness to try it out on the beach. We left Acocks Green at midnight in his dads sit up and beg Ford Pop. He tried it before any people were on the beach, it flew alright but it was nigh on impossible to control.

Hi my best Xmas present was my discharge last week from our local hospital you see I was diagnosed as having lung cancer in 1998,after having the rear section of my left lung removed I was put on a 10 year checkup ,so for the last 10years in December i was looking forward to Xmas with mixed feelings .
PATTY you have given your family the best Xmas present ever by stopping the fags as will all others who give them up .as an ex smoker I know how tough it can be ,but its worth the effort .
I Would like to thank Keith, the moderators, members, health and happiness for 2009.
and full employment for those at work
cheers Tom
icon7.gif

Congratulations Tom, I am very pleased for you. I too am an ex smoker and take pride in knowing that I helped others who I took to the clinic and they stopped also. Once again, well done.

Hi Stitcher I had my operation in Norfolk and was told i would be placed on a 10yr check , after 5yrs we moved to Hertforshire ,my consultant warned me that I might have problems with the further 5 yrs check as not all hospitals did the 10yr check but if I had a problem I Was to ring his secretary and book an appointment be cause I had had the operation there. When i went to the local hospital they said sorry but they only did 5yr checkups so there followed a very heated row on my part about post code health service which ended with me demanding MY medical notes for my trip to Norfolk ,it took some 15mins behind closed doors be fore they agreed to continue my checkups there.every year since in a rather load voice i always got talking to fellow patients about the 5yr discrepancy at different hospitals .the consultant at the 2nd hospital said it was a political decision not medical one over which he had no control
HAPPY NEW YEAR and all the very best for 2009
cheers Tom
icon7.gif

Tom, best wishes for continued good health. Shame you have argue the odds
over the checkups and time length, etc. It's your call and I am so glad that you stood your ground on this.

Hi thank you Stitcher,Norma,Jenny for your kind thoughts I nearly didn't say anything about it at first but then I thought if it gives someone the belief that I had that you can beat it and to argue to stop being short changed for health care that i shared my good news cheers Tom

Tom I am so pleased for you. I thought you had gone on a world tour by buss. That must have put your mind at rest and I too am pleased about my old friend Patty. I can only imagine what it's like to give up smoking but am pleased to say have NEVER had a cigi [can't even spell it] in my life. All the best for 2009. What a Christmas present for you. Jean.

What fantastic news Tom! What a wonderful Christmas present for you. I'm glad you were able to get your check ups done yearly, but you shouldn't have had to fight for this it should have been done without question.

Wishing you a very Happy and Healthy New Year.

Judy

Stitcher and Sylvia,

The little helicopter is a BIG challenge! I just about managed to keep it in the air for a full charge, but can't actually steer it yet. As I flew competition model planes (fixed wing) for years and years I am not, repeat NOT, going to let a toy beat me....

But it's still about the best prezzie I can remember getting!

Big Gee

Big Gee, I had no idea that you flew models when I told you about my friend. He started with the ones on wires and went onto radio control. He was a very good engineer and altered the two stroke engines to his own specification. I remember he built a four engined bomber and crashed it.
Happy Days.

Back