• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

CHRISTMAS LEFTOVERS

K

Kate

Now perhaps Brummies don't really like Turkey - but I do - particularly the boned fat-free breast variety that I cooked us for Christmas day. We've had it cold with some hot gravy and vegies the second time around and there was still some left so I decided to do a fried rice variety.
Took some turkey and sliced it thick and diced into bite sized pieces. (or the Laird did)
Cooked some Basmati style rice - (or my daughter did) well drained and laid on a large plate to dry for a couple of hours.
I cracked 4 eggs and stirred them with some black pepper and made an omelette in my big wok (used low cholesterol oil spray) and daughter put cooked omelette on a plate and chopped into bite sized pieces and set aside.
Then I cleaned/scraped and re-heated my wok with a little spray of low cholesterol (of course) oil. Then I sauteed a bunch of chopped cleaned spring onions (do you call them something else? The little thin things with bulbs on the end - no jokes please). Saute a few minutes.
Then tossed in my rice with some ginger and coriander (from a jar - fresh would be added at the very last if you can get it) and added a small can of corn kernels (well drained) and a couple of handfuls of frozen peas and stirred around a minute or so. Drizzle with some low salt soy sauce and keep tossing on a low heat.
Then turned in the turkey bits. Drizzled the lot with low salt soy sauce again. Toss for a few minutes and Laird took wok to table and served. Yum!
A very multi-cultural Aussie dish. Equally good with ham or chicken instead of turkey and add some prawns.

Come on over :)

We do call them spring onions here K8

I do a very similar dish but add mushrooms and oyster sauce instead of soya

My favourite dish with cold pork and turkey has to be with crusty bread, a lump of cheese and some seriously home made pickled onions, cabbage and beetroot, spanish onion soaked in vinigar with cucumber and a dollup of piccalilli.............one of my biggest memories of food at christmas was all the pickles.

Kate I love egg fried rice...... MMMMMMMMmmmmmm As Brummies we all love Turkey too cooked upside down, and left to cool before it's cut usually guarantees it's moist and very nice to eat!!

As for the cheese Sue, well I couldn't agree with you more, some good strong cheddar, the more mature it is the better, they used to call it Sharp. This year we had a mixture of cheeses including Feta and Cheddar but I love cheese biscuits with my cheese and not forgetting the pickles.

We don't get too many left overs here ::)

It is very traditional that you eat cold turkey and pickles on Boxing Day in our family. Me, I love stilton with my pickles, a hunk of fresh crusty bread  and helped along with a glass of  Chardonnay.

Back