• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christmas 1941

Peter Walker

gone but not forgotten
I would quite like to go back to Christmas 1941, when I was 8. My dad volunteered for the RAF a few months earlier to entertain the troops, and was based in Bournemouth, which was used as a convalescent centre for shell-shocked airman. He was billetted in a guest house run by a Salvation Army bandsman in Boscombe with about 15 others, and there was still room for civilians. So my mum and gran (dad's side) and I were there for Christmas.
Looking back, I think that was the most wonderful Christmas I have ever had. It was warm, plenty of food, good will and masses of live music, as all the servicemen were musicians, mostly from UK but also from Norway, Poland and Canada as I remember.
As an only child, Christmas was usually rather a bore, but when I gained a wife and a family it was a lot more exciting - and wasn't so bad when the grandkids were little.
But I think I would quite like to go back to 1941, as long as I could return to 2006.
Peter

Back