• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christenings

sylviasayers

master brummie
I am trying to find the mother's maiden name of the following children, all christened St. Martin's. Father John Yates - mother Anne.

Ann - 29th November 1825
William & Joseph - 5th November 1829
Sarah - 18th August 1831
Elizabeth - 31st December 1835
Henry - 2nd October 1843
Edward - 2nd September 1844

Unable to find christenings of John Yates born about 1839
and my g.g. grandfather Richard born about 1847

A little mystery is Ann Elizabeth Yates shown as a daughter age 12 months on the 1851, parents shown as John & Ann, I'm wondering whether she was the illegitimate daughter of Anne c. 1825

Sylvia, I have had a quick look and found John and Ann but sadly no maiden name. I have to dash off to work now but I have copied the record I will post it for you tonight. The address given was Staniforth Street occupation Mould Maker. Wendy

St. Martin's Parish Records, Christenings

MomaP, thank you so much for the trouble you have taken, it is obvious that Anne's maiden name won't be on any of the records. I can't find the marriage of John & Anne either, never mind I will crack it one day.

Glad to help Sylvia when I have time I will have a look for a marriage record.

Sylvia

Have you thought of sending for a copy of the birth certificates for the younger children who were born after registration started i.e. Henry and Edward - wouldn't they show mothers maiden name.

Fay

Thank you Fay for your suggestion, why didn't I think of it? I will probably get Richard's b orn 1847 as he is my direct ancestor, g.grandfather, if Wendy can't find the marriage of John & Anne Yates in her records.

Syliva, I have searched the Yates marriages at St Martins from 1819 to 1830 with no luck so perhaps Ann's parish was not St Martins and they were married elsewhere. Ann born in 1825 may have died so the next girl born after her death was probably Ann Elizabeth born 1849 and she would be given her name. This was a very common practice. Good luck with your search. Wendy

Wendy, thanks for looking for me, you are very kind. On the 1851 it shows Anne 25 unmarried and also Ann Elizabeth 12 months both listed as daughters. The family were living at 89 Staniforth Street at the time of the census.

Syilvia, I found these on the 1841 census, another mystery.

Staniforth Street

John Yates 45 mould maker
Ann " 35
Ann " 15
William " 14 gun finisher
Joseph " 10
Sarah " 14
Hannnah" 6
Thomas " 1

I wonder if Thomas had the middle name of John?

Wendy, I have those 1841 census names, John Yates junior appears on the census' through to 1891 - on the 1881 census he has mother Anne age 79 living with his family, at the Brook Tavern, 66 Lennox Street, so the facts fit. Thomas age 1 and Hannah age 6 in 1841 don 't appear on any later census' so I presume they must have died young. Hannah seems to be a family name used through the years, but I haven't found a Thomas anywhere else.

Back