• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Christening 1832

Tippin

proper brummie kid
Hi,

Could any one do a christenening lookup for St Martin's for me?

I am looking from a record I found on the IGI. I need to know where the family was living, and their father's occupation.

The record in question happened on the 9th March 1832 at St Martin's. Their names are William Hill Jorden, and Mary Ann Jorden (Twins), who were born on the 3rd February 1823 to John and Sarah Jorden.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Tippin

Anymore info after twins were born any talk of William living in America Tippin

I know that William married Marira Houghton in 1851 and had at least two children, Sarah Wooldridge Jorden and Jeremiah Jorden. I do not know what happened to them. They could well have gone to America.

AS for Mary, I know nothing about her at all.

Here is William H in 1851, I think you can be pretty sure this is him as his wife's sister is shown living with them.

Name:William JordanAge:25 Estimated Birth Year:abt 1826 Relation:Head Spouse's Name: Maria Gender:Male Where born:Birmingham, Warwickshire, England Civil Parish:Birmingham Ecclesiastical parish:St Jude County/Island:Warwickshire Country: England Street address: 16 Lower Temple Street

Registration district:Birmingham Sub-registration district:St Philip vessel:Household Members:NameAgeEdward Bullock33 VisitorSusana Houghton16 SisterMaria Jordan23 William Jordan25 Sarah Mason12

:angel: This looks like the family ten years before in 1841:
1841 Census
7 Records found

Piece: HO107/1146/2 Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 5
Civil Parish: B'ham (St Philip) Ecclesiastical Parish: -
Folio: 26 Page: 6
Address: Lower Temple St
Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
JORDAN John M 55 Cook Shop Warwickshire
JORDAN Sarah F 60 Warwickshire
JORDAN Jeremiah M 30 Cabinett Maker Warwickshire
JORDAN Elizth F 35 Warwickshire
JORDAN Charlott F 20 Warwickshire
JORDAN Mary F 15 Warwickshire
ALLPORT Allis F 15 Female Servant Warwickshire

Not sure where William was, but he may be recorded here at his work place:

1841 Census
3 Records found

Piece: HO107/1143/4 Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire Enumeration District: 10
Civil Parish: B'ham (St Mary) Ecclesiastical Parish: -
Folio: 47 Page: 19
Address: Snowhill
Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
JORDAN William M 15 Butcher Jrnymn Warwickshire
WAIT Matthew M 20 Butcher Jrnymn Outside Census County (1841)
JONES Ann F 20 Female Servant Outside Census County (1841)

By the way thanx Di for your posting because Edward Bullock could be one of mine
Pom :angel:

I have only just joined and only just seen this thread, which started with William Hill Jorden who lived at 16 Lower Temple Street. From trade directories I note that John Jordan, at number 11 and Elizabeth Jordan at number 13 were also in the 1841 census as listed above.
I'm not too bothered about the spelling of Jordan and Jorden as it often seems to swop back and forth. However, I am very interested if there has been any more developments concerning William or any other Jordens or Jordans in that street as it may be that they were all part of one extended family.

best wishes,
AEJordan

Hi,

I know that William Hill Jorden was the son of John Jorden. They were both Eating House Keepers, the numbers on Lower Temple Street may have changed to make No. 11, No. 16.

I think that Elizabeth was the wife/widow of a Samuel Jorden, and I would say he is more than likley John's brother, or another close relation, perhaps 1st Cousin. I have not been able to prove 100% who John's parents were, and I have yet to find a christening for Samuel.

I also agree that the name changes often between Jorden and Jordan. I found John's victualler licences the other week, all under the name Jordan!

Who are your Jorden ancesters?

Tippin

P.S. I notice that I have not replied to any of the later help given. I should have done, not to sure why I did not, so if your reeding this, Thanks.

Hi,
Thanks for your response, this looks very interesting.
Samuel Jordan [b abt 1828] was my great grandfather who lived at Lower Temple St with his mother Elizabeth [b abt 1796]. There is no mention of a male head of house in the 1841 census. The trade directories [Robson's 1839] show an Elizabeth Jordan at number 13 where she lived and worked as a haberdashers or hosier. I assume with some confidence that this must be the same Elizabeth listed in the cenus. Next door we find John Jordan but I have nothing to show what relationship he had to Elizabeth. However, one trade directory gives a Joseph Jordan as well as John as a proprieter. This poses the question whether he is the brother of John and Samuel's missing father - though Elizabeth could be a one parent family.
My interest is primarily in uncovering more about the Jordan family but I have a growing curiosity about all the traders in this street and I would love to gain a clearer picture of work and trade in that one street.

I am very interested that you mention a victualers licence, is it possible for you to guide me to this source.

very best wishes,
AEJordan

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, there appears to be no online record on the database, I trust that your search will be more fruitful.

best wishes,
AEJordan

Tippin, the Warwick Record Office has been a very useful link but I have not yet made full use of it. A John Jordan is listed as the licensee of the Shakespeare Head in Livery St in 1804. He is here until at least 1816. There is also a John Jordan who is the victualler at 11 Lower Temple St., who is one of the subjects of this thread. As the latter was born in about 1786 (1841 census) I doubt that he is the same John Jordan as the one at the Shakespeare Head as he would only have been 18 in 1804. However, if anyone has any other interpretation I would be pleased to hear it.
I strongly suspect that all these Jordans / Jordens are related and certainly I feel that Elizabeth (my great, great grandmother) is related to John next door.

Does anyone know the street number of the Shakespeare pub that now exists in Lower Temple St.? Just a leap in the dark!

As for William Hill Jorden, and Mary Ann Jorden and their relationship to John Jorden / Jordan I am still in the dark about that.

Thanks for your help.

AEJordan

Hi AEJordan,

On the 1841 Census, the ages are rounded down to the nearest 5 years. So although it says John was born in 1786, he was actually born in 1782. I have his death certificate which proves this.

John first ran the Jolly Bacchus which was on Peck Lane. In fact it used to be the old prison, that was ran by John's in-laws. The first date for a Victualler's Licence is 1804 (When he was 22). He moved to the Shakespear Head by 1810. There is no doubt that he is the same man as the eating house keeper on Lower Temple Street. Christening records for his children prove this.

William Hill & Mary Ann were John's youngest children. They were twins.

Hope this clears things up a little,
Tippin

Thanks Tippin, you have been very helpful indeed. How very interesting. Now for the next step!

Thank you,
AEJordan

St Martins baptisim records

William Hill Jordan and Mary Ann Jordan baptised 9 March 1832. Father John mother Sarah abode Lower Temple Street occupation Eating House Keeper.

Back