• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chinn Family

deadrellies

proper brummie kid
Hello

I have an Alice Chinn Born 1856, Perry Barr and Married Robert Turner 13 Apr 1873 in Birmingham, according to her Marriage Cert Her Father is Joseph Chinn and is a Fish Rod Manufacturer, Alice got Married in 1873 and he is Deseased Then, I am totally Brick Walled with this Family.

If anyone could assist and check any birmingham records they have i would be most greatful, thank U in advance.

Probably of no use but there was a Chinn fishing rod manufacturer, but not Joseph., and he seemed to make walking sticks before he made fishing rods:
In the 1867 and 1868 Kellys there is an Edward Chinn, fishing rod manufacturer at 53 Potter St. He is not listed in 1862 or 1872. The 1871 census lists an Edward chinn (16) living with his mother Mary chinn at 54 Potter St (next door). Here his address seems to be filer.
Also at no 54 (sep.household) is James archer (42) walking stick manuf. and wife alice Archer (40)
Going back, the 1862 corporation directory lists Edward at 53 Potter St, as a walking stick maker. In the 1861 census at 53 Potter st is:
Edwin Chinn head. 43 walking stick manuf. born london
Mary /Chinn wife 38 born Nottingham
Lavinia (?) Chinn daugh. 20 warehouse woman born Nottingham
Edwin Chinn 6 nephew born birm
James Chinn 4 months nephew born Birm.
(Apparently some fishing rod manufacturers were also walking stick manufacturers . according to the directory, though Edward is just marked as a walking stick manuf.)
The 1858 directory lists Edward Chinn at 53 Potter St, but does not give a trade
I think that the Edwin (senior & junior ) in the 1862 census should be Edward.

Thank U for that i am going to have a good look at them details, even if its only to knock him out as an option.

.My grandfather was Edward Chinn Married to Ruth Naomi ( nee Webester ) he was a butcher and it seem had a shop he was born late 1800 and went to stay in south Africa while visiting family in Birmingham in 1915 Ruth my granny had my father there, they went back to Durban South Africa were my grandfather died when my father was only 10 yr old as with I have was never told about his family as his mother married again I would like to know if anyone can tell me about that side of the Chinn family as I would be very grateful my e-mail is [Email removed please contact via instant message]
Thanking you Lionel Chinn

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I have recieved your email and will get back to you soon as i dont have the Family tree currently uploaded to my PC so will need to upload all the software, thank you for making contact and i will be intouch with you some time this week :fat:

hi i realise this is an old post. i too am stuck on alice chinn and wonder whether the OP ever found the answer to her parentage? i do have a photo of alice that im willing to share.

Jumping on this old post too, Alice Ann Chinn b1856 is my 3rd Great Grandmother but also a brick wall on my tree :(

I have her living at 78 New Street, Erdington with Robert Turner in 1935, I believe she died the year after and was buried at St Barnabus in Erdington in September 1936

They had A LOT of children - 14 from what I can see (although I'm fairly new to geneaology so I may have a few mistakes there), including my 2nd great grandfather, Stephen Turner b1875

Perhaps between us we can piece some bits together?

Last edited:
becki you are right, Robert and alice had 14 children and managed to keep all of them alive.
I am descended from Robert born 1878.
Alice is definitely the alice ann born 1856, her birth certificate came today, she was born 1 January 1856 to jane and joseph, jane was formerly kilvert.
Edward kilvert chin was her full brother, born 21 june 1854.
jane chin, formerly kilvert signed both birth certificates with an 'x'

Back