• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chimney's on fire.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
When I was a child almost everyone had an open coal fire. We had two as my aunt Floss lived in the front. We used to have those large guards round them sometimes with moms and aunts smalls drying on them when it was raining. Things came flooding back last night when I was day [night] dreaming while sat in front of our open fire in our front room. The days when a chimney would set alight and the smell of soot would fill the air. One day a house opposite us in Yew Tree roads chimney caught fire and they had to be evacuated because the fire brigade could not get it under control I was Mrs Billingham and she was so worried because her cat had ran under the bed and would not come out. That realy scared me and we make sure our chimney is swept yearly. We are having a log burner installed early November and will make sure the chimney is well clean before the job is don. There is no substitute for an open fire as long as you take the necessary precautions. TTFN. Jean.

jean i have a open fire,in fact just lit it.it is cold here today.when i burn wood i have to watch my goldy dog he loves to lie in front,so i watch the sparks that come out dont burn him.once i chucked a hot watar bottle on the fire,it had a punture,great scott the flames and the row was like a old steam engine.the flames was coming out the top.of the pot,i expected the fire crew any moment,but it carmed down.never again,that time i was lucky.it made me sweat,but not from the heat more the fright.
pete

When we lived in Aston my Mom would set the chimney on fire on purpose to save paying a Chimney Sweep.

[ame="https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yu23HHmOG48&feature=related"]YouTube - Mary Poppins "Step in Time"[/ame]

Last edited:
Jean do remember the story you used to tell me about the sweep that used to come to your house

I called the Fire Service out once here and I had a lecture off them and on top of that they ruined our carpet.

Alf I put a post on here a while ago about the day the wasps came or something like that. The fire men ruined my suite as well

Oh Pat I forgot about you and the visit from the firemen?. Saw the photo's. Do you want me to get you a wasps nest can be arranged.???????? Did you mean our chimney sweep now or years ago?. Only our regular one Bob is recovering from a cancer op in hospital and has unfortunately picked up a dreaded infection. Alf love the Mary Poppins bit but can't watch or rather listen to it at the mo. The boss has got footie on. Pete we have to watch our dog only if he had his way he would be in the fire. Jean.

No No NO to the wasps nest Jean, and it was the chimney sweep you had at Holte rd when we were about 10 I think. Cant tell you on here if you cant remember, it was a bit !!!!!!!

Pat are you sure it wasn't my music teacher or piano tuner or maybe the window cleaner. Fill me in later or I will give you a bell. Jean.

What all these secrets Patty's on about

Last edited:
Oh Pat I forgot the milkan and the baker and maybe the candle stick maker. Truly Pat can't remember the chimney sweep one or maybe my mind has chosen to keep it where it is. Jean. Alf that would be telling.

My Dad was a chimney sweep - when the chimney at home needed cleaning he would light some paper and let the draught carry it up the chimney to set the soot alight. The when he judged that it had done the trick he stuffed a soaking wet sack up to block the chimney and starve the fire of oxygen. Definitely something you should not do at home folk.

BTW - Burning logs can produce a tarry soot that is more likely to set alight; so do as Jean says and get that chimney swept.

Bernie, you have brought back such a memory. When I was young in London, everyone fired their chimneys where we lived. We had a big black range with oven in our living room - my job was to blacklead it. There was a sliding door above, beside the chimney and after the chimney was "fired" this was opened and soot and paper ash was cleared out. Unfortunately,someone decided to call the fire brigade every time they saw smoke, and soon the brigade started to charge the "firers" money. All of a sudden chimney sweeps were in great demand.

The last chimney sweep we had was the missus and a good job she did too and saved £50. Borrowed the Brushes off a friend.

I was going to buy her a box of chocolates but her hands were to dirty to eat them.

Pat thought we shared all of those delivery folks they were lovely people especially the window cleaner who used to sing I dream of Jeannie with the light brown hair but truly Can't remember the chimney sweep one unless I was telling a child hood fib. Jean.

When our chimney set on fire, Mom would put a block of salt in the grate everybody were i lived did the same when theirs set on fire. Len.

Alf ours is still £25 good at half the price. Don't believe you let your WIFE [missus how dare you] do that job. Jean.

Hi Alf, until 2003 I only had an open fire (just one) and an electric one which I moved around the house as needed. Eventually I bought a set of brushes and had a go, but we have a sharp bend in chimney and I didn't have the strength to push round it, so had to wait for a friend's husband to sweep it for me. Wouldn't you just know it though, the following year the council decided I had to have central heating installed - I did beg to keep my open fire too, but they said no - I actually cried. I now just have radiators and have never felt really warm since. Poor brushes were renegated to the attic after just one use!

As you all know monday was wash day...and l remember one wash day every one had their washing on the line and someone in Talford street set their chimminey on fire...you can imagin what happened with all tha black smoke, cinders included,...l knew who it was but won.t mention names even though it was so many years ago as this was a common occurance....you can imagine all the moms were not very happy after working so hard boiling rinsing blueing etc.......my dad always swept pur chimmney wonder what happened to his brushes.............Alf your wife sounds like me, if the man of the house won't do his chores well you just do it youself, but l never get offered a box of chocolates Brenda

Hi Aurora if were round your way Pete said he will buy them. Anywhere near Redbourn thats where my daughter in laws family live. She's there at the moment. Kidding apart you can't beat an open fire. Tother half is lighting ours at the mo and can't wait for our burner to be installed. Jean.

Brenda you brought back the memories of the washing on the line and if you were out when a chimney went up you would come back to black smuts all over it. Must admit I'm a bit like you [a lot] if it ain't gonna get done do a do it yourself job. I usually get a cuppa after being told "you shouldn't have done that" [did want it before xmas though]. Bye. Jean.

Alf ours is still £25 good at half the price. Don't believe you let your WIFE [missus how dare you] do that job. Jean.

It wa £10 when we came here thats why her in doors did it I didn't ask her to she wanted to do it. A very good job she did too and she will have to do it again soon as Christmas is coming.

Alf I learned too late that if you make a good job of something you're expected to always do it. Him indoors loves my cooking and when I suggest going out to eat he always says ain't as good as yours love [and thats even when I say it's on me]. Jean.

I was left with the draw tin up, while mom went shopping. I was still at school and not very old and loved to read. I sat in dad's chair by the side of the fire with a book, and the next thing I knew was a roar from the chimney the damn thing had caught fire. I was in big trouble when mom came home, she pushed wet rags and newspapers up the chimney to put the burning soot out.

Oh Di when our drawing tin developed a large hole through old age nespapers were held in front and that frightened the life out of me too. Did your mom dry her smalls on a guard in front of the fire like mine. I think she had more knickers with scorch marks on than anyone else in the road. I remember certain ladies in our road who used to sit too close to the fire and developed what was known as pickled cabbage legs. Off to bed now before I get told off [again] Jean.

Back