• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

children's hospitals

S

Sonali

Hello

I am new to this so massive apologies if my post is irrelevant to the discussion, but I want to do a study about the hospitalisation of disabled children in post war times. Would anyone know of museums or hospital archives I could tap into.
Any information very gratefully received.

Cheers
Sonali

Physically disabled children were treated in mainstream childrens hospitals and I doubt whether data was collected to differentiate their care from other children. Mentally handicapped children were cared for in hospitals like St Margarets at Gt Barr, indeed many adults I met there in the 1970s were admitted as young children. I think you are going to have real difficulties in researching such information but we have some real experts here, I am sure someone will be able to make likely references.

Back