• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childrens badges

GEFF

Geff
My sister who would have been 96 now, had she lived, was once in a club in the "Evening Despatch" newspaper. It was certainly not racist but it was called " The Nig Nog Club". My daughter now has the badge amongst the family heirlooms. Has anyone recollections of the club. I did write to the Paper years ago and they replied stating that they had to cancel it, the reason was obvious. Geff

Goodness gracious that takes me whey back in the mists of time , "Uncle Mac" I remember the NIG NOGS too, what fun it all was . I feel sorry for the kids of to-day they don't seem to have these clubs any more. A lapel full of badges was common place in the 50's. I wouldn't use the term though very un PC to-day.

Nignog clubs were run by newspapers in many towns, and encouraged children to be friendly towards each other, be helpful, kind to animals, support local hospitals etc. Couldn't we do with that sort of thing for children now, rather than the violece and crime - based computer games that are pushed towards them?
I think 'Nig' and 'Nog' were characters from a comic cartoon, but can't be sure now.
See also:
https://www.sterlingtimes.org/memorable_images51.htm
https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/features/blogs/staff/echomemories/4791114.Nignoggery/

hi all
A very important part of growing up in 50's Britain especially at infant and junior school, was the teaching of common courtesy and kindness towards each other and the elderly, respect for others always. This has all but been eradicated within the education system now, and children now grow up unguided and undisiplined, hence the increase in bullying and violence which seems to dominate everywhere now.
paul

Back