• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childminders of the past

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
My mum went out to work even when I was little. She used to send me to an ex-school nurse who looked after me whilst mum worked. This was before I started school when I was 5. The childminder was a neighbour and I remember sometimes carrying my bowl of cereal up the road to her house in the morning. I don't think it was an entirely happy experience, as the minder used to make me eat pea soup, which I detested, and she'd make you stand in the corner in the veranda if you did anything wrong. I remember standing there and making stories up about the clouds as the wind moved them across the sky. On another occasion I would sniff my hankie which smelt of mum and was a bit of a comfort. It wasn't all doom and gloom however, as the minder always listened to Music While You Work. And another programme would play 'Sparky' 'I'm a pink toothbrush' and 'Nellie the Elephant', which I liked. Funny how we tend to assume that all mums stayed at home and very few kids had childminders outside the family. Did anyone else? Viv.

My mom used to do part time work at Horsely's wood yard and sometimes too me with her before the days of health and safety. She used to put firewood into bundles. Sometimes I went to Aunt Nell's over the road and was spoiled rotten as she had no children of her own. She was the only person who ever minded me but I loved it and was very lucky to have had her as an aunt. Vivienne I loved pea soup. Jean.

I've since learned to not only love pea soup Jean, but now make it myself. Took a long time to get over it though. Sometimes my nan would step in to look after us and she made the most delicious egg sandwiches - egg perfectly runny! Viv.

Our tastes do change don't they?. My nan lived a bit too far away for mom to take me there to be minded but did visit weekends when she would take care of me while mom did her shopping in Perry Barr.

Back