• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood TV PROGRAMS

Long long time ago i can remember a programme called Mr Pastry, dont remember anything about it just too long ago, as for my kids growing up probably their favourites were Wacky Races with Dastardly and Muttley and also Rainbow with Geoffrey and Rod Jane and Freddy, the favourite character was Zippy who was a bit naughty, they thought he was brilliant. Happy days.

Who can remember waiting for Tiswas on a Saturday morning and in between Ulf Goran's Guitar Tuition program and Shaw Taylor either teaching you how to drive or to play contract bridge (!!!!) you got the wonderful "Paulus The Woodgnome"!!!!
Good grief - this program must have cost - oooohh - pounds!!! I bet this frightened the hell out of some poor little kids......

I've enjoyed many children's TV programmes which aren't from my own childhood but those of my children's. Favourites have been Thomas the Tank Engine, Rosie and Jim (on the canal barge) and Brum (the little yellow car). Watching both Rosie and Jim and Brum with them gave me glimpses of Birmingham after I'd moved away to London. My kids loved these programmes - and secretly I did too !

Viv
Well Viv, I have my own confession along those lines. I used to finish work and be home around two o'clock each day. Just in time most days to enjoy watching the antics of Bing& Bong and their elastic band powered sofa.
The difference between you and I was,I had no children at home to pretend to watch it with!!
Happy days.

NoddKD,the big kid.

I can relate to that Nodd ! There's a big kid in all of us.

Pete, I'd forgotten about Animal Magic - used to make me laugh, a lot ! Have always enjoyed comic programmes with voiceovers. The more ridiculous the better. (to me) It doesn't necessarily translate into young children's programmes, but I think Johnny Morris hit the right note with that programme. Viv

Temporarily increasing the screen size, just to mention the children matinees at the Kingston Cinema, just off the Coventry Road by the bus depot.

The Lone Ranger, Tonto, and (hi yo) Silver.

(Oh, and Zorro).

OK, thanks for your patience. Back to the small screen.

Time for bed zebedee, (boing).

Andrew.
dont forget Roy Rogers, Champion The Wonder Horse, Robin Hood, William Tell

Eamon Andrews was on the original Crackerjack about the same era as Muffin the Mule.
Mick and Montmarency, one of them was Charlie Drake.

I loved American programmes as a kid especially Top Cat (wasn't Phil Sylvers one of the voices ?) and Yogi Bear. I expect the US made a concerted effort to sell their programmes over here in the late 1950s/60s. I also loved Bewitched and the Lucille Ball Show. Although Lucille Ball was meant for adults, I liked the slapstick-type humour. Viv

Back