• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood punishments

I believe our parents and granparents were treated in a similar manner to how they treated us. This created a nation that won two world wars. It also created world re-known artists, inventors and entertainers. I know some of the punishment went over the top but child cruelty is rife today. My parents and teachers smacked me to correct my behaviour and to teach me the that the right way was always the best way. I could never condone actual cruelty and a lot of the trouble today is refraining from smacking until the temper is lost and then it is too severe. On the other hand a large number of dubious parents just do not give a damn. In the days when we would get a lamping, (thats a great word dont you think) for misbehaving, and we were supposedly frightenend of our elders we could be heard laughing and having fun. You don't hear much laughter from children these days.
With all the talk of the skipping rope hurting the girls legs, how do you think it felt when I missed my opponents conker and mine went in a circle and hit my elbow bone. OUCH I can feel it now. Ha Ha.

Back