• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chelmsley Wood.

BazzM

master brummie
I have two enquiries that I am hoping the residents of Chelmsley Wood can help me with. Firstly, could anyone tell me the date that The Queen and Prince Philip came to officially open Chelmsley Shopping Centre ? Up in my loft I still have a few photos that I took that day, but in those days I never thought to put a date on the back. As you do (or dont). Secondly, our family moved on to Chelmsley as it was still being built, (in fact the buses only ran as far as Pine Square in them days), but in the early days there was set up, a very helpful organization called The Child Rescue Squad, to which I was an early member. Could someone tell me whether this organization still exists ? I still have my original I.D. card. Just a couple of things that came to mind for no reason at all, but I would be interested if anyone could help. Thanks in anticipation (because I know what we are all like on this forum). Barry.

The area was first given the name Chelmsley Wood in 1965.

The Queen came to Chelmsley in 1971,I don't know the date which is awful because I have passed the plaque so many times whilst shopping.
I came to Chelmsley in 1968 and I have lived here since then(in different parts of the town) I have never heard of the Child rescue squad,I would be interested to hear more.
Alberta, Marlene Croft 1968-1970 Conway road 1970-1998 Bacons End 1998**********

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply Alberta. Now you mention it, I think you,re right about it being 1971, and in that case, I think it was before May, because during that month I went to work at Butlins in Minehead as I couldn,t find any other job at that time, so she might have been there just before then. Regarding the C.R.S., there definately was one set up, because as I say, I still have my I.D. card. It was started in the early days of Chelmsley, because the estate was getting that big, and there where that many young children starting to get lost on a regular basis, that some people got together and formed the organization. It was a very good idea at the time, but I suppose its not needed these days. Anyway, next time you pass the plaque, maybe you wouldnt mind having a look, and maybe post it here for me. I would be grateful. Many thanks, Barry.

I moved, with my mom and dad onto Chelmsley in 1972 - Camplea Croft, my mom remained there, after my dad died, till she herself died in 2001. I moved back with mom in 1998 and stayed only for a short time after she died moving into a flat at the top of Chelmsley Rd. For a short time I also lived in Berwicks lane. I remember visiting a friend in the very early days of Chelmsley, the buses had only just been extended from Lea Hall bridge!

My mom used to visit, the bluebell woods, that was once Chelmsley, when she was a child - walking miles! - From the tram stop - that ran from Small Heath.

Jan

Sorry Alberta. Ive only just noticed you put your old addresses in that message. When our family moved from Nechells to Chelmsley, we moved to Peace Walk, which is off Berwicks Lane, between Walnut Close and Plane Grove. I ended up moving to Scotland in 1977, but the rest of the family stayed there until my Brother got married, and then both my Parents passed away by a couple of years ago. In fact whilst my wife and I where living at my Parents, we had our two sons, born over the road at the Marston Green Maternity Hospital, before coming here. Its great to share a few memories like this. Thanks for listening. Barry.

When they pulled Sparkbrook down to build the Nelson Mandela School my mum and her sister (Frederick's mum) were moved out to Chelmsley Wood. My mum lived at N° 1 Brookfarm Walk until her death in 1977, her sister died shortly before that time.

Graham.

hi

What a small world we live in, i also lived in chelmsley wood, i was born in the railway cottages i think they were in Castle Bromwich or on the Chester Road i then moved to Chelmseley wood various addresses White Croft being one and i attended Smiths Wood Secondary School and then Hedgetree Croft when my dad remarried.

Paula:D

Those who have not visited Chelmsley for a while would see that it has changed very much over the last few years.
At the Marston Green side both hospitals were demolished and new houses built,most of them private.
On the Castle Bromwich side there is a new Campus of Solihull college.This was previously housed where Simon Digby school stood and this area is now private housing.
Archbishop Grimshaw school has been rebuilt and Whitesmore school is now the Grace Academy.
Keepers lodge school is now private housing.
Kingshurst Comp is now the City Technology College.
We are now in the middle of a large regeneration,hundreds of houses have been demolished and are being replaced mainly by private housing.
The Town centre is undergoing a massive refurbishment.
Asda open a large supermarket on July 6th this year.
The large glass atrium is in place and looks very impressive,it stands where the large escalators(closed years ago)were at the back of the centre.
The Banbury club has moved to make a large car park.
The library is moving to the town centre above Asda,this building will also accomodate all the council offices.
The town still has probably more than its share of drug problems,single mothers and unemployed but on the reverse side it has many wonderful organisations,sports facilities and some really nice people.
I have live here for 41 years and find that most of the bad opinions about Chelmsley are from people who have not lived here.

I haven't been to Chelmsley shops for a couple of years. So I may pop over. Like so many others, my main memories of Chelmsley are from the fifties and early sixties, when it was regular bike trips to the woods.

The first photograph is Chelmsley Wood in 1892. And is probably the main footpath from Alcott Hall to Keeper's Lodge, now under Dunster Rd. The wood was one of the last remnants of the Forest of Arden, and described as 'the beautiful hanging wood' of Coleshill.

The second photograph was the wood in 1910. Made up mainly of oak, birch, mountain ash and poplar.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Conway Rd Chelmsley Wood and have done for 22 years and find it a very pleasant place to live plenty of open spaces, especially along side the river Cole and the brook running of it towards the airport where I walk my 2 dogs regularly, I have attached 3 pics taken on one such walk when we had freak snow April 6 last year. All pics take within a few hundred yards of my house.
Eric

Last edited:
I live in Conway Rd Chelmsley Wood and have done for 22 years and find it a very pleasant place to live plenty of open spaces, especially along side the river Cole and the brook running of it towards the airport where I walk my 2 dogs regularly,
Eric

Last edited:
David. Thanks for the date of the opening. I can now put that date under the photos in the album. Barry.

Im surprised that no one else seems to have heard about the Child Rescue Squad though. I know there where more people in it than me. Barry.

Were'nt there a couple of kids abducted and left tied up in the woods for a few days by a teenage girl with 'Problems' in the early days of Chelmsley Wood, around 1968 69 ?

I remember the CRS barry i was'nt a member but i know they offered thier support on the night of the pub bombing. Col i think the girl strangled the 2 young boys.

Eric is that towards Bell Lane or am I getting mixed up?. Looks a great place if you have dogs as you do. Jean.

At last. Thank you Robert. Im glad someone remembers the C.R.S.. I didnt do much with them, but I always thought what a great idea it was to have them in the early days of Chelmsley. Barry.

Looking towards Bacons End Bridge. I cannot remember where I got the picture from. I apologize if I have pinched it from someone. I can remember walking/cycling up that hill many a time.

Terry

G G Jean, 1st pic is by the Brook, Alcott wood on left, chapel house rd on right
2nd pic is lake at meriden park with my dog Sam (where i live)- thats a coots nest in the water
3rd pic is end of lake with Chelmsley Rd bridge above, by shopping centre
If you follow the brook for about a mile you will come to Bell Lane and evetually the airport. Eric

i remember the early days of chealmsley ,the people moving there were very depressed ,at the thought of moving out of the city brum ,and there seemed to be talk of suicides , i was only a child at this time . but i did move to chealmsley in the early seventies by the town centre, and i loved it there.

Thanks Eric I thought I was in the right direction only we go that way when we visit friends in Bell Lane. Is there a big hypermarket in Chelmsley Wood I think I have heard my son mention it. Hi Harley that sounds very sad what you have posted. Jean.

I moved with my mom from Alum Rock to Chelmsley in 1974 to Peace Walk, then moved to Winchester Drive 1986, I am in Marston Green now, but mom and stepdad are just off Winchester Drive now. Have stayed here all my life and wouldnt dream of moving. Sorry cant help with the CRS.
Asda supermarket is opening 29th June, can't wait, with all this building work it looks horrible at the moment.

Wendy.xxx

G G Jean,no Hyper market but has flounder as just said a huge ASDA opens here on June 29th wirh a Georges, Pharmacy and opticians even our Library is moving there so I can change my books and shop at the same time. Thats the day I travel back from my holiday so I will miss the 10 am opening. If you go on Google and type ASDA Chelmsley Wood you will read all about. Eric

2 recent paintings of mine of Cambridge Walk, which I pass every morning whilst walking my dogs alongside the brook between Meriden Park and Bell Lane, (1) Misty morning Feb 2009 and (2) Spring snow, 6th April 2008

Eric. What a lovely painting. Just at first glance you can tell its Chelmsley. Great. Barry.

Well done Eric, have you done any of the lake at Meriden Park, and what do you think to all the activity that has been going on round the lake, like the new signs/sign posts/half a ship/fence around the lake. I have had some correspondance with the Rangers over the last few months, and they are going to enter Meriden Park for the Green Flag award. I hope they get it for all the effort that the staff have put in to get the park up to standard....just got to stop all the quad/motor bikes!!:)

I had a word with the police about my concern with regards to the Motor bikes and was told that they are very hard to catch,so one would wonder why Chelmsley police have off- road bikes just for this job.

loisand, yes I have done 4 winter paintings of Meriden Park, including the lake and the engine shed (long since gone) but I sold them all at various exhibitions and I have no pictorial record except Meriden Park bridge which I have attached, this was done a few years ago before the bridge and weir alterations. I live in Conway Rd which backs onto the Lake and I agree the motorbikes are a menace. Eric

Back