• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Charlie Hall 23 Washwood Heath Rd

tali

master brummie
Charlie Hall -the legendary actor who played alongside Laurel and Hardy was afaik born in 23 Washwood Heath RD.I had a look on Streetview but can't find it - after number 19 there is some advertising hoardings and a small car park- which is where i suspect number 23 was
So does anyone know when 23 Washwood Heath RDwas pulled down ?(what a shame as it was befitting of a blue plaque in his honour)

Charlie Hall went to Leigh Road School.I think his mother at one time lived in Warren Road in Washwood HeatH .Last summer i went to a 100 year anniversary at Leigh Road school and the Laurel and Hardy society were there showing films which he appeared in. They said one film he had a clothing item with a Leigh Road badge on. Perhaps this society could help you.Regards Reg

"Hall almost never played starring roles; the exception was in 1941, when he was teamed with character comedian Frank Faylen by Monogram Pictures. Hall continued to play bits and supporting roles in short subjects and features through the 1940s. He died in North Hollywood, California on December 7, 1959.
There is a public house in Erdington, near Birmingham, England, called The Charlie Hall as a tribute to him."

The above has been copied from wikipedia. The last line in red puzzles me, Where is the Charlie Hall?

Terry

terry , the charlie hall pub is just of erdington high street. Opposit erdington indoor market. Its a large witherspoons pub. Regards re

Regarding Charlie Hall.

He was born where the Ward End Fire Station now stands.
It's why we cannot have a blue plaque.

He lived in 33 Arley Road, Saltley, but the house is no longer there.
He came back to Brum in 1937/8.

I am writing a book on Charlie, which I hope will be out this year.

The Birmingham branch of the Laurel & Hardy appreciation society is called Laughing Gravy.
Charlie Hall played the landlord in this film.

We meet on the 1st Thursday of every month at the Forget me not Club, Tyburn Road, Erdington.
Everyone is welcome.

John

Regarding Charlie Hall.

He was born where the Ward End Fire Station now stands.
It's why we cannot have a blue plaque.

He lived in 33 Arley Road, Saltley, but the house is no longer there.
He came back to Brum in 1937/8.

I am writing a book on Charlie, which I hope will be out this year.

The Birmingham branch of the Laurel & Hardy appreciation society is called Laughing Gravy.
Charlie Hall played the landlord in this film.

We meet on the 1st Thursday of every month at the Forget me not Club, Tyburn Road, Erdington.
Everyone is welcome.

John

Hi johnlaughing thanks for info - big L and H fan here. Is therefore 23 Washwood Heath Rd .totally unrelated to Charlie Hall and incorrect- ?

I seem to remember an article about Charlie in Carl's Brummagem magazine it had several photo's as well.

Charlie was born on the Washwood Heath Road. His birth certificate says No. 23.
The cottage where he was born was called Gwyther Cottage.
Around 1906/7 the house was given the number 580.

I named the pub The Charlie Hall.
His birth certificate says 'in the sub district of Erdington'

John

Wendy,

I wrote the article about Charlie Hall. It's probally out of date by now.

I am writing a book about him, and have tracked down Charlie's surviving relatives.
They have provided me with a lot of new info on him.

John

John

Yes, Charlie's relatives are all UK based.

Most of them are still in Brum, but I've travelled to Dawlish, and Bath to interview
his neice and nephew.
Mandy and I also paid a visit to the US, and while we were there, we put flowers on his grave.
He came back to Birmingham in 1937/8. His family were still living in Arley Road, Saltley.

I remember the house very well it stood between the fire station and the car sales that are there now, the original fire station was next to the end house by the old toilets on ward end park side and was run by a women, where the fire station is now was a yard used by a trasport company.

Back