• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Charity Bick G.M.

Old Boy

master brummie
Hi Folk.

According to a book I have recently read the youngest person to be awarded the George Medal in WW2 was Charity BICK.

Charity had lied about her age to get in the ARP. She was awarded the George Medal for her exceptional bravery during a very heavy air raid on BIRMINGHAM in February 1941. She rode her bicycle through heavy bombing to get a message to the ARP control post about another serious incident that had knocked out the telephone lines.

Does anyone know where Charity lived or anything else about her ?

Old Boy

Thanks Bernie,

It would seem that Charity was actually a West Bromwich lass and performed her heroics there.. A midlander nevertheless.

Old Boy

I have just finished reading a book which mentioned Charity. I read that particular chapter on Wednesday evening. On Thursday afternoon, as part of my job I visited Lyng Primary school - and there on the wall saw the plaque. Amazing co-incidence!

Back