• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chaplin Eliza

susiemoon

proper brummie kid
HOUSEHOLD CHAPLIN ELIZA F 1878 33 Aston Warwickshire

I am looking for her registration of death.

She was murdered by her husband in about 1954.

If someone could help i would be very grateful

Hi

I have found an article from 1954 re Bertram Chaplin being charged with the murder of his house-keeper. Could this be him?

and another mention from 20th April 1954. The first article is from 19th April 1954, both from The Times newspaper.

Suzanne

Bertram & Eliza Chaplin are at 404 Victoria Road up to 1939 (so her death could be between 1939 and 1945 possibly) with a Bertram Samuel Chaplin in 1930 and then just Bertram up to 1950. Bertram Samuel is at 11 court 6 Victoria Rd in 1935 and 1939. Bertram (senior) is also listed on the 1912 electoral roll so presumably he had a business of some
sort?

Suzanne

1911 census 404 victoria Road
Bertram Chaplin age 33 Cycle finisher
Eliza Chaplin age 33 married 13 years (Bertram m. Lizzie hunt 1897 )
Bertram Samuel Chaplin age 7
Doris age 1
also as lodgers
Henry hunt age 74 widower (this is Elizas father)
Alfred Hunt age 32 single
Annie hunt age 26 single

other children born Chaplin/Hunt
Hilda 1913
May 1914
Elsie 1916
Horace 1917

In those days you did not have to show a birth certificate to arrange a marriage and quite often the christian name would be different,when asked what her name was she probably gave the name she was called by her family.
In fact my grandmother was registered and baptised Eliza and was always known as Lizzie.

Eliza Chaplin age 64 death registered April 1942 birmingham, ref. 6d 176
she was born in September qtr 1877.

Bertram Chaplin murdered Ann Emms in 1954, he then went to the gunmakers Arms and then handed himself into the police. He was sent to Broadmoor suffering organic dementia brought on by senility he was 75.Doctors said that he would not have known he was doing any wrong.
He had been living with Ann Emms since 1948 he told people that if ever she left him he would kill her

An old post Susie and I am moving it to surnames

Back