• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chamberlain And Cadbury

Johnfromstaffs

Johnfromstaffs
Richard, I think my post must have been a bit too cryptic. What confuses me is why people like redundant rust belt workers, miners and folk who have suffered at the hands of those in power for the last many years seem to have fallen for “make America great again”, coming from the mouth of such an obvious liar.

As far as the Guardian goes, the last time I bought a copy was when a teenager.

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mort, I agree with your basic premise however I wonder how much of the vandalizing is because they can. It seems that few of the vandals know this history to start with. If there is a true cause then lets discuss and do it properly rather than acting like a third world country! (which we are)

I agree that this is vandalism to destroy these monuments and it should not happen. However, I think it’s reasonable to show that what these people did were not do the great deeds they credit themselves with.

An alternative may to the remove them and return them intact back to the family’s or descendants. They can then place in their own private collections and ensure that write ups show a balanced, warts and all view.

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
Richard, I think my post must have been a bit too cryptic. What confuses me is why people like redundant rust belt workers, miners and folk who have suffered at the hands of those in power for the last many years seem to have fallen for “make America great again”, coming from the mouth of such an obvious liar.

As far as the Guardian goes, the last time I bought a copy was when a teenager.

John lets just take some care here as to not invoke a political rant.

What we must remember here is that the people who vote for what we consider to be undesirable leaders often do so because they are reacting to their immediate environment.

When you couple this with the fact that some countries have an either state controlled or a privately controlled media that will dance to the tunes of the people with money and power and not in the interests of the citizens.

Peoples belief systems therefore don’t necessarily rely on facts or truths, quite often simple slogans, a common enemy and hollow promises are all that are needed to radicalise a population.

I quite enjoy listening to the (translated) speeches of Adolf Hitler to see how content free they are. Look how he linked this to the media, the common enemy and the promise of great things to come.

Johnfromstaffs

Johnfromstaffs
I had no intention of so doing. The intention was to draw a comparison between the past being a different place and the USA being a different place.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Back to the thread title, the side by side comparisons of Chamberlain and Cadbury. Much has been written about the Two Titans but not much about the Cadbury family's involvement in eugenics.