• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Chamberlain And Cadbury

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
Interesting book comparing the “Two Titans” together. The author covers Chamberlain’s controversial time as Secretary of State for the Colonies, and Cadbury’s involvement with cocoa production in São Tomé and Príncipe.

Johnfromstaffs

Johnfromstaffs
The difficulties that I am finding when looking back at the histories of many important people of the past is precisely that it was the past. “They did things differently there.”

Casting aspersions upon the actions of past leaders of men won’t bring them back for a good thrashing, and choosing to ignore the good that may have been done because of the bad that may have been done strikes me to be a negative way of viewing life. Better to have a dispassionate evaluation of both aspects, give thanks for the good and use the bad as an example of how not to behave in your own life.

I do have to add, however, that while I am prepared to take this approach when such as Churchill or Bevan are concerned, I might struggle with Hitler or Stalin.

Johnfromstaffs

Johnfromstaffs
Not by a cadre of those whose only intent seems to be bordering upon revenge. I do not make excuses, I merely ask for the application of reason. Because it was not applied in the historical time does not mean it should not apply now.

Pedrocut

Master Barmmie
I wouldnt like to give the impression that this book in any way concentrates on the controversial issues involving Two Titans. It is probably the opposite, and compares the many similarities and differences between them in a fresh way. However, unlike some biographers, the author does to some extent discuss these issues.

There is the current thread concerning the Chamberlain Clock. The BBC report that “As part of the project a researcher will also be employed to look at Chamberlain's role as Colonial Secretary and his involvement in the British Empire and a new information heritage information panel will be installed near the site.”

It will be interesting to see the new information panel.