• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Chamber of Commerce

Well, at least it won't be an attractive old building being demolished. Pity they won't be doing the same with the Paradise Forum , or whatever they call it. I always think it resembles a bombed out building where they have given it a roof and built a few shack-type shops in the ruins

Thanks Ell. Never been inside the place. Looks pretty uninviting from the exterior photos. These interior views from the RIBA site are dated 1961 when the building was awarded a RIBA bronze medal. The interior looks a model of 1960s design. Didn't realise it was effectively two buildings joined at right angles to each other. One block was 4 storey's high, the other was eight storey's. I don't think the Chamber occupied all of the building, only the 4 storey section and the other section was rented out as offices to different organisations.

I like the the boardroom photo. You could set up a whopper of a train set on that board table! Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
No problem Viv. I normally see it from the no 1 bus (before getting off near Morrisons Five Ways on Harborne Road)

Remember going there to a dinner when a student member of IWM. Blues manager Fred Goodwin was to have been the speaker but he delegated to Howard Kendall.

Cartoon of the members of the Chamber of Commerce in 1925 from the Tatler. These exaggerated cartoons were very popular between the wars.

members of birm chamber of commerce Tatler.15.4.1925.jpg

Back