• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

cato street

Talking about Cato street, seem to remember an engineering company call Richards that used to be based in Cato street back in the early sixties, we used to deliver Gardner engine blocks and crankcases for machining before we reconditioned them, are they still there ?

I'v just joined,so i could post to you. As i'm researching 'the church' that this factory was built on it's foundations, this post came up on pc search. So yes ,the company is very much alive and well , I would be grateful for any info,if you care to post,thankyou.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'v just joined,so i could post to you. As i'm researching 'the church' that this factory was built on it's foundations, this post came up on pc search. So yes ,the company is very much alive and well , www.jhrichards.co.uk. I would be grateful for any info,if you care to post,thankyou.
When I started at Ryland garage in Ryland st in 1960 being a trainee/apprentice mechanic we had to cover all aspects of the job including reconditioning Gardner engines for Wolverhampton corporation transport. After stripping the engines down Richards collected the blocks, heads and crankcase complete with con rods for reconditioning. On return the heads had been skimmed, crankcase line board with new bearings and crankshaft complete with con rods refitted. Blocks were also returned with new liners and pistons, all we did then was build the engine back up with new valves, water and oil pumps, valves, recon injection pump and injectors the paint the engine green and black. I can't recollect ever having problems with any engineering work carried out by Richards.

When I started at Ryland garage in Ryland st in 1960 being a trainee/apprentice mechanic we had to cover all aspects of the job including reconditioning Gardner engines for Wolverhampton corporation transport. After stripping the engines down .............

many thanks for reply. i reread my original post and have to admit it didn't read as intended LOL. I meant info on 'the chuch' that was sighted where the new factory was built in 1963. Since my last post i have discovered (if i've got it right), the church was 'Saltley Congregational Church' and bombed out in 1940, but thats all so far.

The church was opened in 1838 according to https://www.southastonurc.co.uk/park-road.html
But according to https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22981#s18:
Saltley Road chapel, a 'small, neat, brick chapel', costing £800, (fn. 50) was built in 1825 at the expense of J. S. Green, (fn. 51) and provided sittings for 180. (fn. 52) A new chapel seating 700 (fn. 53) was opened in 1869. While still a churchwarden of St. James', Ashted, Green had begun services in a warehouse in Ashted Row, about 1820. (fn. 54) In 1851 the main Sunday service attracted a congregation of 69, (fn. 55) but by 1892 this figure had increased to 541. (fn. 56) Church membership in 1957 was 39. (fn. 57)

Hopefully you'll get a more useful reply soon ☺️ Sorry I can't help as I never visited that area after 1964.

no worries, on the contrary, your story about www.jhrichards.co.uk is interesting as i know the Bellingham family, i'm sure they will be pleased to hear of your good reference LOL . Anyways, at least you know now the works are still going strong, re your original post.

Hi Mrs dallowway
I have been following your threads with interest and I noticed you know the bellammys I also know the Bellamy's family
And as I know of a dalloway family would you have relative close to you by Michael best wishes astonian

Hi Mrs dallowway
I have been following your threads with interest and I noticed you know the bellammys I also know the Bellamy's family
And as I know of a dalloway family would you have relative close to you by Michael best wishes astonian

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but 'mrs dallaway' is just my 'username'. I am not from these parts, so it's extremely unlikely i can be of any help to you regarding family.

:sneakiness::sneakiness::sneakiness:
dicky-yrrep The derelict building i believe you mean is in Cato St North it,s an old brewery. the Monkey House was nearer Duddeston Mill Rd on the corner of Somerset St.Phil 1947 is the man For photos of this area i,m sure he,ll help you i,m a novice with my computer.The company i work for is based roughly were Somerset St used to be. Dek

:boxing:I use to live on the corner opposit the pub

Hi. I use to live across the road from the coal yard,
on the corner, and worked there on Sat mornings,while ya Grand father went in the monkey house,use to take his eye out to watch me. I was scared,

What is the name of the brewery in Cato street lads. I believe it still stands today. Unused of course

I take it you mean the one in Cato St north. It has been called the Vale of Evesham Brewery because a firm of that name, that was originally based near Evesham, used it till 1906, but before that it was the Old City Brewery

The Monkey House, Cato St

27972357_10215779079255761_9189511324533554476_n.jpg

27867027_10215779079095757_145239243443011331_n.jpg

cant beat it BB who knows what may turn up;)
I was ten when we moved from Allesley Street in Aston. Close to Miller St bus depot was a park (in Stephenson St I think) and in that park was a small REAL steam engine for the children to play on. It was MY steam engine! For many years it existed only as a memory until one day while browsing the internet I found a photograph of it (which I have posted on this site). I can't describe the joy of what discovering that picture meant to me. I have a dreadful fear that if we can't preserve these memories then they will be lost; so if I find something interesting even though perhaps it has no historic or academic value I post it because it may rekindle a priceless memory in someone looking at it.

Hi, my great great grandma lived at 78 cato street north on the 1891 census. Has anyone got any photos of the street around that time?

Hi.
I'm looking for any details of the railway lodging house that might of been in Cato Street or Devon Street - not sure which road. Would any one have any photo's of the building and details of the person who ran it for the railways.
Thanks.
Paul Burns.

Patty

I really should read posts more slowly and take in all of what I am being told. I didn't realise that it was an off sales. I always thought it was a pub. No wonder I could never find the name listed.

I used to walk past there twice a day at least in the early 60's when I worked in Cato St North and I never noticed once that it was an outdoor.

Just goes to show it's not only the kids today that walk round with their heads in the clouds.

Phil
Phil it was a pub not an outdoor.... don't know real name but nickname monkey house

Hi Paty

Thats the photo of the Beer Retailer that I don't think has ever been listed in Kelly's by name. I have in the past posted a copy of it myself and also a more recent one of the old Brewery that I took last year when down that way.

I for one would like to know if that was the Monkey House or was it the Duddeston Hall Inn?

The only other photo I have of Cato Street from back then is this one and I have to confess I'm not sure if it has been posted before.

Phil

View attachment 123127

This picture is dated 1958…..

Birmingham : a study in geography, history, and planning​

by Cherry, Gordon Emanuel

Back