• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Catherine Coffman

Rachel Morgan

knowlegable brummie
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone remembers a Catherine Coffman? She was homeless in Birmingham city centre after being let out of Coleshill Hall (mental institution) she’s a distant relative of mine and I would like to find out what happened to her. She was born in 1916, would really like to find her final resting place, haven’t had any joy in finding out death information so I’m assuming she had a public health funeral or a paupers grave

How do youknow whether she found happiness and got married to some one my friend it does happen to people why presume she passed away
and burried best of luck in your searching if you are correct and then i am sure that one of our members whom are the experts may shine some light on it for you best wishes Alan Astonian;;;;;

Hi Rachel, I had a quick look yesterday and could only find her birth in 1916 and someone of the same name on the Electoral Register in Birmingham in 1955 but don't know if it's her. No deaths though. It's a real mystery. I tried all different spellings but I think we need one of our experts on the case as Astonian says.

Catherine Coffman was born in 1916 to George H Coffman and Kate (nee Mills)
In 1950 she was at 189 Wyndhurst Road Stechford with her parents and brothers
William R born 1925 and Stanbury born 1930
In 1955 the electoral roll for 189 Wyndhurst road was
George H, Kate, Catherine,Stanbury and his wife Margery D.
George H Coffman died in Dec 1961 age 69
Kate died in March 1961 age 71

If Catherine had a public health or paupers grave funeral her death still had to be registered by law.
Death records only go public until 2007 so she may have lived to a ripe old age and died after that date.
She is not on any marriage records.

Last edited:
Catherine Coffman was born in 1916 to George H Coffman and Kate (nee Mills)
In 1950 she was at 189 Wyndhurst Road Stechford with her parents and brothers
William R born 1925 and Stanbury born 1930
In 1955 the electoral roll for 189 Wyndhurst road was
George H, Kate, Catherine,Stanbury and his wife Margery D.
George H Coffman died in Dec 1961 age 69
Kate died in March 1961 age 71

If Catherine had a public health or paupers grave funeral her death still had to be registered by law.
Death records only go public until 2007 so she may have lived to a ripe old age and died after that date.
She is not on any marriage records.

That is interesting, George and Kate were her parents yes, I have found her on the 1939 census at the mental institution in Coleshill. I didn’t realise that she moved back home and was resident there in 1950. The story was told that my great grandparents (George and Kate) disowned Catherine after she had a baby out of wedlock. They raised her daughter and Catherine went into Coleshill Hall

After Stanbury in 1930 there are two female births before 1939 for Coffman: Jean b. June Qtr 1933 mother - Mills and Barbara June Qtr 1937 mother Coffman. Don't know if this helps though Rachel.

After Stanbury in 1930 there are two female births before 1939 for Coffman: Jean b. June Qtr 1933 mother - Mills and Barbara June Qtr 1937 mother Coffman. Don't know if this helps though Rachel.
Barbara was Catherine’s daughter, she was born out of wedlock so she was raised by her grandparents. Do you have an image of the electoral roll information for 1950 and 1955, I am searching on Find My Past and cant seem to find her

Here you are Rachel.

Attachments

• Catherine Coffman Electoral Roll 1950.jpg
    Catherine Coffman Electoral Roll 1950.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • Catherine Coffman Electoral Roll 1955.jpg
    Catherine Coffman Electoral Roll 1955.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Back