• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Castle Bromwich

Good Evening Everyone
Hello Castalla
I had forgotten about the Step Aside Bridge. Another really good example is in Water Orton.
Castle Bromwich was Warwickshire part of the Meriden Rural District set up. It got split up and some was moved to Birmingham. The Post Office gave Castle Bromwich, Water Orton and Coleshill Birmingham Post Codes. The next move saw Water Orton, Coleshill, Minworth and Curdworth go to North Warwickshire and administered from Atherstone. It got so confused nobody really knew who was responsible for what. Chelmsley Wood was Warwickshire but is now with Castle Bromwich part of Solihull.
The Police Station at Kingshurst was Warwickshire. Castle Bromwich years ago did have a one man police station.
The policemen who lived in the flats in Castle Bromwich chose to live there. Many had quite a bit of service in. They were not forced to live there. Just wondered how they got to work when they were on earlies.
Best wishes
Gerald Garden Gerald.

Last edited:
Afternoon Everyone
The speculators are out and about in Castle Bromwich and Water Orton looking at gardens where they might get planning permission without your knowledge to build houses. Gardens are now classed as brown field land and can be built on. A firm have looked in Water Orton at knocking down a house and building a number of houses in other peoples garden. This has gone on since the 1970s when they tried for permission to demolish my house.
Keep your eyes open.
Best wishes,
Gerald.

I lived opposite the Police station on Washwood Heath road which was next to Ernie Lucas builders merchants now Shinka Builders.
I also lived in Overgreen Drive and the Police station in Kingshurst was just past Overgreen drive on Chester Road, a large detached building next to the houses that have railings in front of them , I believe it became became a hostel for youngsters.

I lived opposite the Police station on Washwood Heath road which was next to Ernie Lucas builders merchants now Shinka Builders.
I also lived in Overgreen Drive and the Police station in Kingshurst was just past Overgreen drive on Chester Road, a large detached building next to the houses that have railings in front of them , I believe it became became a hostel for youngsters.

Don't forget that in those days there was Birmingham City police force and Warwickshire police force.
Kingshurst at that time was not in Birmingham, we even had to go to Warwick to tax the car.
Our member Old Boy and my Dad(RIP) were both in Birmingham force.

Hello Everyone
Alberta, coming up Washwood Heath Road from Saltley on the left was a smallish bomb site that had a horse drawn bakers van parked on it. Is it still there or did it fall to bits. I often thought I would have liked to own that piece of history. Where the iron railings close to your house. Living in Castle Bromwich I was often up and down past your house.
Moving onto Kingshurst I remember the Police Station. One morning in the sixties i was driving towards Bacon End behind a large lorry that suddenly jack knifed right across the road. To avoid hitting it I pulled to the left but instantly realised the road was a sheet of ice. I hit the bank went up in the air, cleared the hedge and the car came down on its roof and took off again and then came down on its wheels. I got out of the car and thought well I'm still alive. People had gathered round and someone walked with me into the Police Station. The officer asked if I was alright and I said yes. He said I will get an ambulance because you are bleeding nicely from the back of your head. I went to East Birmingham Hospital where they cleaned me up and sent me home. That night on the front page of the Birmingham Mail was a report that I was in a critical state with severe head injuries. The first I knew was when my Mom arrived at the house on her way to hospital. Never believe all you read in the papers.
Take care and best wishes...Gerald
Garden Gerald

Hi Gerald
I can recall seeing Mr Khrushchev when he came over in the early fifties
He travelled up from Salford bridge in a huge parade and a army of body guards
In a motor cascade traveling to the council house I presume for lunch
I do not know whom was in office or mayor that year
We was just coming out of our house to go back to school after lunch
When we was going back to school after lunch
And people was shouting his name out a d kids was booing him we was all little kids at that time
A lot of the an sells workers was standing and clapping him but there wasdisgrunted adults as well
Standing there best wishes Alan,,,, Astonian,,''

It's also where I lived/Grew up/Terrorised.
I remember the Castle, I remember getting money of Dad to buy some Prawn Cocktail crisps, i remember seeing things like airfix kits and it had a musty kind of smell.

Regarding Police Stations, my recollection is that there was a police house/station on the side of Castle Bromwich village green in the 1940s manned by PC Colloby (Copper Colloby to us kids). I remember going there to report my stolen bike when I was 11. The station was probably terminated when Kingshurst Police Station (I lived opposite) was built in the 1950s.

Back