• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Castle Bromwich mystery air crash WW1

mrsghjun

proper brummie kid
Hi everyone this is a bit of a mystery...I have removed an old photograph from my Great Great Aunts who were Brummies and on the back is an inscription relating to a Major in the RFC, who was killed at what looks like Castle Bromwich, presumably in an aircraft accident, potentially on August 27th (year unknown) as that date is also on the back. I believe this to be a friend of my Great Great Aunts who lived in Erdington. See image below it is really hard to read, I have scanned the wood at 600 dpi to try and help. I cannot see anything in the air crash records that seem to make sense. This keeps happening to me when I take things out of frames, the last one was a huge photo of an entire regiment at Myhow before the Great War that fell out the back of my great grandmother's sampler, I need to stop :) Any help deciphering the writing would be much appreciated. His surname is critical of course but it's so hard to read.

Attachments

• scan 6.jpg
    scan 6.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 38
I wonder if it's worth contacting the Midland Aircraft Recovery Group? Something on the photo or the back might ring a bell with someone there. Or they may be able to offer suggestions for other contacts.

Back