• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Castle Bromwich Aerodrome

Re: Castle Bromwich Areodrome

What fantastic photo's Chocks I have not seen any like these.

Thanks Chocks, best photos I've ever seen of Castle Bromwich airfield. Interesting to see the hangers and of course the good old Tiger Moths. I used sit on the side of the field watching them taking off about 10 years later than the date of the photos.

I remember cycling over to the Aerodrome from Sutton in the late 50's or early 60's and there was a section you could get into through the fence which contained wrecked 'planes from WW2, British and German. They were little more than scrap but for a lad brought up on The Battle of Britain it was a paradise!

Could someone tell me why when I click on the thumbnails to look at the old photos, there is no link there, but everyone
seems to have had better luck. I even asked my husband to have a go as he's a whizz on the computer, but he said there is no link there?????

Not having a problem using Google Chrome (other browsers are available).

I am assuming you are referring to those posted in post 19?

Sorry no I was ok with No. 19 it was 13 I was referring to & others like it.

No one can see the photos in #13 they were lost in a big 'hack' event in the Autumn of 2011. There is a note about this in blue text at the top of the forum heading.

Oh! I don't bother with all of that info ha! I just want to read the threads, so interested in the history of Birmingham, Castle Bromwich, Shard End (if there is any ha)
well anything really, i'm doing the family tree, so anything that is on this site that helps I use.
Thanks for letting me know where I'd gone wrong or missed anything.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for information. I am looking for information about 'The Bungalows' or 'The Hutment' on Castle Bromwich aerodrome (airfield) The wooden bungalows were sold to the City of Birmingham to house families to help reduce the housing shoratage. Any information please - dates , numbers etc.
Thank you all
aquajet

Viv - That link was a very interesting read, particularly about Birmingham's sewage arrangements. I've always been interested in the area mainly the Airfield and the BIF buildings. I have mentioned before that my Dad worked on Spitfire production during WW2 and I vaguely remember being taken as a small child near to the airfield and seeing Spitfires being air tested - maybe I might have seen one flown by Alec Henshaw - maybe !
I can't think why I would have been taken there because it was a long ride on the No 28 bus from the Hawthorn Rd terminus and we certainly would not have been allowed into the factory. My Dad later worked in the BIF buildings on exhibition stands previously mentioned here with a photo.
oldmohawk

Last edited:

Hello,
Regarding Castle Brom Aerodrome and just for general interest, I can recall a barrage balloon with a basket below it and paratroopers dropping out of it. I think the parachutes were on an automatic opening device. That must have been in the late fifties as I was born in 1952. I also recall around the mid Sixties being in my back garden and watching a Spitfire fly over in a last salute to the Aerodrome before it was built on.

Hi Phil - I hope you did see Alex Henshaw. My dad met him but I don't know what my dad thought about him. From things I've read Henshaw was quite a hero so I expect my dad felt the same about him. I feel almost certain my dad would have visited the exhibition too. A good photo as well.

Hi Hansonbridge - seeing the barrage balloon manoeuvres must have been exciting. Hard to imagine these days.

Hi Aquajet again. Here are two snippets about the huts. This is from a Newman College document. The full document is on https://www.newmanlocalhistory.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/history2-vol11.pdf

The second attachment gives some newspaper references relating to the huts which might be a useful source of further info. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353967831.352774.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1353967847.981138.jpg

Viv - That link was a very interesting read, particularly about Birmingham's sewage arrangements. I've always been interested in the area mainly the Airfield and the BIF buildings. I have mentioned before that my Dad worked on Spitfire production during WW2 and I vaguely remember being taken as a small child near to the airfield and seeing Spitfires being air tested - maybe I might have seen one flown by Alec Henshaw - maybe !
I can't think why I would have been taken there because it was a long ride on the No 28 bus from the Hawthorn Rd terminus and we certainly would not have been allowed into the factory. My Dad later worked in the BIF buildings on exhibition stands previously mentioned here with a photo.
oldmohawk

Phil I don't seem to have much success in posting links that can be opened, but I'll give this one a go as it might be of interest. It's from Youtube and has footage of Henshaw test flying at Castle Brom in 1941. Quite possibly you've seen it. Apologies in advance if it doesn't work! Viv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCmzYccyBYM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have just read Alex Henshaws book, Sigh of a Merlin, about his life but mostly about his time at Castle Brom.

Thank you for the information, my parents lived in the bungalows but I never asked how or why they rented one. My father, as far as I know, did not work at Dunlops. I understand the majority of the bungalows were occupied by Dunlop employees. I would like to see photographs, so will continue with my search. Thank you once again.

Hi Viv,
Thanks for that link, I had not seen the video before. I thought he had 'hit the deck' about 20 seconds in, he certainly took it close !
It brought back an old memory - when I used to watch Spitfires being tested, I remember seeing an occasional puff of smoke during acrobatics and I saw one in the video at about 4 seconds in.
Phil

Hi Phil. Funny how even today, it still looks like he took great risks. When I was nosing around looking for info on the huts I came across a couple of old Pathe news films about the Birmingham Air Pageant. There was one which shows a performance of them blowing up a mock castle at Castle Brom Aerodrome. The films were on Youtube. It's interesting because you get a few glimpses of the Aerodome too. There were also ones about the BIF, royalty visits etc. Won't post them here as they have copyright plastered all over them. Might be worth a look if you're interested.

Also, the Britain from Above website has some lovely aerial views taken in the 1920s of both the Aerodrome and the BIF building. It might also be possible to spot the huts on the photos - but I think it needs more of an expert eye to look at them. I posted an example below - the exhibition buildings in 1928. There're several more nice views of the Aerodrome on that site too.

And the photo....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354018556.045734.jpg

Viv.

Hi Aquajet

Are these what you are looking for, the bungalow in question being No 15 Park Lane taken in 1929.

Phil

Attachments

• Castle Bromwich Park Lane No 15 Shed 1929.JPG
    Castle Bromwich Park Lane No 15 Shed 1929.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 40
Hi Phil,
Thank you very much for the pic. it is the first time that I have seen the type of "living" accommodation on the aerodrome. It is the first time that I have posted anything on the forum, I hope that I am following the rules.

Aquajet

I don't recall just where I got the photo from but I do remember reading that these wooden shed/bungalows were better fitted out than most brick built houses of the time having indoor toilets and bathrooms.

Phil,
I understand the wooden bungalows were referred to as the "Hutments" and were originally built to accommodate Castle Bromwich aerodrome personel. They then became the property of The Birmingham Tame and Rea Drainage Board who sold them to the City of Birmingham housing dept. There was, as today, a housing shortage and the bungalows were to be allocated to Dunlop workers. I do not know if my father worked for Dunlop.
Thank you for your trouble.
aquajet

Hi Phil This picture is of my parents dated about 1923, the background shows the "bungalow" which is elevated to avoid flooding. There is a referince in Hanzard to a question to the Health Minister regarding the poor conditions of the bungalows.

Alfred_Linda_nee_Perkins_and_Lillian_Coldicott_possibly_at_Castle_Bromwich_copy.jpg

Hi,

I'm researching the history of gliding at Castle Bromwich aerodrome. Can anyone help me? I believe that an ATC unit was based there post-war, but when did it start, and when did it disband? Was the ATC the only gliding activity at CB, or was there any private gliding. Was there only winch launching or was aerotow used? Where were the gliders kept - presumably in one of the hangars? Does anyone have the names of any instructors or students? Any if you've got any photographs of gliding at CB......

Thanks, MT

Here we have an AVRO passenger 'flying machine'for 3 people. It's at the Castle Bromwich airfield. No date for this, but at a guess, maybe 1920s ? I've guessed 1920s as I've assumed there were no passenger flights until after WW1. Viv.

image.jpeg

Here we have an AVRO passenger 'flying machine'for 3 people. It's at the Castle Bromwich airfield. No date for this, but at a guess, maybe 1920s ? I've guessed 1920s as I've assumed there were no passenger flights until after WW1. Viv.

View attachment 109127
That appears to be an Avro 504K, which was the standard training aircraft for the most part of WW1. The aircraft carries RAF insignia, so I don't think it was a civilian machine. Hard to date the picture, could be 1920's, but I'd have said somewhat earlier. Standard 504Ks carried only the instructor plus pupil.

G

Thanks Big Gee. So 'passenger' in this sense meant other flying officers. There seem to be many hangers in the distance. One is open with possibly another aeroplane inside. If I remember correctly the RFC used this airfield (pre-RAF). Viv.

Back