• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Carter Alfred Victor

Lynac

Brummie babby
Any info about My Grandad Alfred Victor Carter and his father Alexander Carter please.
He was aged 25 married to Lily Harding aged 24 .... 28th July 1923 they had 5 children and they lived in various places around the Aston and Erdington area until they moved to Lambeth road Kingstanding in around 1945. Between then and around 1950 he left the family and as far as I no was never seen again.
He was associated with Parliament Road according to my Aunt and used to drink in a pub in Witton.
The only other info I have is on the wedding cert his father is named as Alexander (deceased ).Bricklayer
I was told they had or worked at a Hackney Cab business in Aston when my Dad ,Alfred's son was very young he remembers it.
I no it's a long shot but I have hit a brick wall with this and just wondered if any one could please help me.
An Alfred Victor Carter is listed as living at 15 Parliament Street,Aston, Birmingham in 1947-1955.
And because my Aunt had mentioned this address I think it is probably him.
I cannot for the life of me find out anymore about him or his Mother or Father Alexander.
My dad who is 84 would dearly love to no about his father and his fathers family.

Hi Lynac, there is a death recorded on Ancestry for an Alfred Victor Carter born 16 Jan 1898, died Jan-Feb-Mar quarter aged 84, Birmingham. Vol 32 Page 0461.
The birth date fits with your Grandad's age at marriage, so it may be worth getting the death cert for informant and last address information.

I just got It but it says on the cert name of informant was Robert Carter(son).
The Son's address in York.
Which is the same name as my Dad.
So unless he had 2 sons named Robert it isn't him.
Thank you for your help.

I am really stumped then Lynac, I have spent the last few hours searching but to no avail :(
I guess after seeing some of the programmes on TV about family trees and searching for lost rellies, it is always a possibility that Alfred did have 2 sons called Robert, but thats a bit of a long shot...hopefully some of the other members might be able to shed some light on this for you. Sorry I couldnt help.

I too have searched.......can't even see a birth that fits,(never mind a death)
Struggling to find on 1901 and 1911 too!

I cannot believe there is no trace of him at all .
I have been trying to find him for over a year.
The only thing I can think of is.
He was born to an unmarried mother.
Either took her maiden name which was later changed to Carter .
Or he was Adopted.
So registered in a different name.
Then when he left the family in the 50's he changed his name again so not to be found.
It's strange the only time he can be found is between his marriage to Lily Harding in 1923 and him leaving the family home in the 50's.
I don't suppose there is a register of people who change there name is there?
A big Thank you to all trying to help me.
I am now trying to find this other Robert Alfred Carter from Stillington York.
If he was born after the 50's he could be from another new family I suppose.
It was rumoured he (Alfred) had a new family. But if he had changed his name ?????
Alfred Victor Carter died in Aston Birmingham

Hi Lynac, I thought I'd found something this morning but on checking when I got in from work, it doesnt look right. :(
I'd had a look at a tree on Ancestry which had Alfred Victor Carter married to Lily Harding. Attached to the tree was a census image from 1911 which had what looked like an Alec Carter with his wife Alice and 2 sons, one of which could have been an Alfred or an Alec. (The writing isnt very clear) The father was a Bricklayer's Foreman, which fitted with your marriage cert.
However when I checked, the name on the bottom is Alfred William Carter and on looking closer at the father and sons names, they appear to be initials, both the same ...A W.. and also the son's age wasnt what I would have expected it to be..so I think that rules that family out..
Ive looked again this afternoon but Ive still not found anything..

I dont know if there is a register of Name Changes...I think they were announced in newspapers though.

Sorry this isnt of much help...

I just got It but it says on the cert name of informant was Robert Carter(son).
The Son's address in York.
Which is the same name as my Dad.
So unless he had 2 sons named Robert it isn't him.
Thank you for your help.
I can help you fill the gaps, Robert Alfred Carter from York where I am born is my dad ,yes Alfred Victor had 2 sons called Robert

Any info about My Grandad Alfred Victor Carter and his father Alexander Carter please.
He was aged 25 married to Lily Harding aged 24 .... 28th July 1923 they had 5 children and they lived in various places around the Aston and Erdington area until they moved to Lambeth road Kingstanding in around 1945. Between then and around 1950 he left the family and as far as I no was never seen again.
He was associated with Parliament Road according to my Aunt and used to drink in a pub in Witton.
The only other info I have is on the wedding cert his father is named as Alexander (deceased ).Bricklayer
I was told they had or worked at a Hackney Cab business in Aston when my Dad ,Alfred's son was very young he remembers it.
I no it's a long shot but I have hit a brick wall with this and just wondered if any one could please help me.
An Alfred Victor Carter is listed as living at 15 Parliament Street,Aston, Birmingham in 1947-1955.
And because my Aunt had mentioned this address I think it is probably him.
I cannot for the life of me find out anymore about him or his Mother or Father Alexander.
My dad who is 84 would dearly love to no about his father and his fathers family

Back