• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

CANTELL family

jdn5764

master brummie
My Grandmother Ethel Winifred Cantell married a Wiliam James Cantell in June 1945.

They had two children Kenneth William Cantell (born 24th Sept 1945) and Janet Diane Cantell (born 29th August 1947).

William James Cantell from what I can find out was born on the 4th June 1888. Possibly in Berkshire.

On the 13th July 1913 he married Helena O'Grady at Dundalk.

They had several children, James, Gerald, Eileen, Maureen, Rita and Norman, Norman was lost at sea in the second world war, I think he was in his early 20's.

Does anyone know have any information on the Cantell family as my Uncle would like to know more about his half brothers and sisters. Also we are having trouble finding anything in the 1911 census for William James Cantell.

William James Cantell died in 1955, he used to work for Scibbans bakery (if I spelt that right).

Birth registration:
Q3 1888 CANTELL William James Bradfield 2c 325

This is the only birth registration for a William Cantell between Mar 1887 and Dec 1888
I'll have a look through census returns for 1891 and 1901

William James Cantell
1891 London road Chertsey surrey
William Cantell age 34 b. Oxfordshire coachman groom
Sarah age 30 B.Salisbury
William age 3 b. Pangbourne Berks
Louisa age 2 months b Chertsey

1901 Chertsey
Sarah Cantell age 40 widow b. Salisbury
William J age 12 b. Berks
Louisa age 10 born Chertsey

the half brothers and sisters you list.
James was born Leo James Cantell but after used James Leo Cantell
James Leo Cantell married Betty J Phelps in 1941 no children found
Leo James Cantell born 22 May 1918 died 1979 Solihull

Eileen Mary Cantell b. 1924
Eileen M Cantell married Frederick Hindley 1947
Sheron L Hindley mother Cantell born birmingham 1954
Eileen M Hindley born 1924 died Oct 2001 Birmingham

Maureen Christina Cantell b. 1934
Maureen M Cantell m. Peter B Brelsforth 1959 Birmingham
children
Neil P 1960.Grant L 1963
Maureen Christina Brelsforth b. 1934 died 1992 Birmingham

If you don't already know Ethel's maiden name before the 1945 marriage, you may have to send for the certificate to sort it out. FreeBMD gives two Ethel Ws marrying Cantell as follows:

Q2 1945
Allcock Ethel W Cantell Birmingham 6d 991
Cantell William J Clarke Birmingham 6d 991
Cantell William J Allcock Birmingham 6d 991
Clarke Ethel W Cantell Birmingham 6d 991

Obviously there has been a transcription error somewhere - it's too much of a coincidence to have two William Cantells, both marrying Ethel W!

Reading through your post again, I have a couple of queries/observations:
1. Are you saying that William James Cantell married twice, and that he was 57 when he married Ethel
2. If so, the marraige to Helen O'Grady doesn't show up on FreeBMD - did he marry in Ireland? Could this be why you can't find him in 1911? I'm struggling to find him on 1901 and 1891 as well. Well done Alberta - just spotted your reply.

Ethel Winifred Allcock was born in Birmingham 1909
she married Albert E Clarke in 1931 Birmingham
Ethel Winifred Cantell born 1909 died 1991 Great Yarmouth

There are far too many Clarke/Allcock births to say if any were their children

Yes Alberta that is correct, she is my Grand mother, born 21st May 1909 died 11th February 1991 in my arms, at my parents house. My Grandmother lived with us all my life.
Albert Clarke and Ethel had a daughter Hazel Marina (my Mom) born 28th Nov 1934.

Re Leslam post, yes Wiliam James Cantell did marry twice, he married in Ireland Dundalk, but they moved to Birmingham, where Helena died. And yes he was around 57 when he married my Nan, she was 21 years younger than him.

I'm wondering if he was in the army during the time of the 1911 census, he didn't marry Helena O'Grady until 1913.

Almost right but his occupation was a Gardener.
1911 Irish Census
Address, Military Barracks Urban No. 4,Dundalk,Louth. W Cantell age 23 Rel. Church of England.The Irish census does not give place of birth.

Last edited:
I have found some info about a Lena M Cantell, I think it could be my Uncles Dad, first wife.

Could anyone look into this person and shed some light on her, please.
Lena M Cantell

Died April, May, June 1941

Age 52

Birmingham

Would be interested to know if anyone can pull any information on the Electoral roll for the following people also.

William James Cantell. (either with Helena Cantell or Ethel Winifred Cantell)
Albert Ezekiel Clarke (either with Ethel Winifred Clarke or Emily Clarke (nee Lancaster)
Mary Ann Hannah Allcock with Alfred Allock.

Hi there,hope this helps!
1925 & 1930 & 1935
22 Don Street
William James Cantell and Lena Marguerite Cantell
22 Don Street
William James Cantell and Lena Marguerite Cantell.Leo James Cantell and Louise Marguerite Cantell
1950 & 1955
22 Don Street
William James Cantell and Ethel W Cantell
1950 & 1955
621 Warwick Rd
Leo J Cantell and Betty J Cantell
44 Kent Street North
Albert Ezekiel Clarke and Ethel Winifred Clarke
2 back of 75 Villa Street
Alfred Allcock,Mary Ann Hannah Allcock,and Ethel Winifred Allcock
2 Kelvin Grove,Villa Street
Alfred Allcock,Mary Ann Hannah Allcock
2 Kelvin Grove,Villa Street
Alfred Allcock,Mary Ann Hannah Allcock and Thomas Allcock

A bit of info re William's sister
In 1911 Louisa Cantell was a domestic housemaid for the Lyle family (sugar refiners!) at Fennart House, Oatlands Drive, Weybridge, Surrey.She was one of 12 servants.

I have a copy of the Death certificate of Leslie Ernest Cantell, died at 77 Dudley Road, Winson Green, 29 August 1955, age 67. He had served in the navy for many years, but retired and became an attendant at Mitchell's and Butler's power station in the early thirties. He would have been my great uncle, being brother in law of my grandmother. I remember him quite well - always affable, especially after a few Sam Browns, but he smoked evil smelling tobacco. They lived at 13 Ellen Street, the only house there with a red cardinal polished door step.
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your information. I don't know if he is related to William Cantell. Hopefully I will find out more about him.

Julie

Can anyone check to see if William James Cantell had any other children. As its rumoured he had another child with someone else.

Thankyou

Hi,found the following on BMD,some you may have already

Births Jun 1924
Cantell Eileen M mmn O'Grady: Birmingham 6d 407

Births Jun 1927
Cantell Gerald S mmn O'Grady: Birmingham N. 6d 588

Births Mar 1934
Cantell Maureen C mmn O'Grady: Birmingham 6d 237

Births Jun 1927
Cantell Sylvia M. mmn Smith: Birmingham S. 6d 114
Births Mar 1931
Cantell Anthony S. mmn Smith: Birmingham S. 6d 167

Found this as well,though not sure if connected?
(Marriages Sep 1939
Cantell Marguerite L
m
Smith (poss James F) (Birmingham 6d 1339)
1945 living at 78 Edgware Rd Erdington
1950 and 1955 living at 109 Woolmore Rd,Stockland Green.)

Found this as well
Births Dec 1922
Cantell Frederick W mmn Grady: Birmingham vol 6d page 405

Hi Linda,

It looks like the Cantell/Smith marriage is the daughter of William James Cantell. My Mom told me that she could have been who she knew as Rita going on the Margarite middle name.
She said there is a Gerald, but I'm wondering if it could have been Frederick....

Back