• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Canal Boatman/Bargee

shady

master brummie
Can anyone recomend a site for searching Canal Boat People. One of my ancestors was on the 1901 census as Canal Boatman/Bargee and it showed an address of Pritchett Street. It is possilbe he died in 1910 but I cannot confirm that. I do know though that he was found dead on a barge in Birmingham possibly Birmingham Canal Basin. This is just one of the stories from relatives ages ago but no one really left to confirm it. I have no idea if it is more sinister than that.

Hoping someone can guide me to the right place.

Shady

Try this site, it has lots of links for research. What you must remeber with those who lived and worked on the canal is that if there was a birth, marriage or death they popped into the nearest church on their travels to register the event and more often than not, didn't bother with the civil registration system. I thought i had a list of churches along the canal system but can't bloomin find it now, there might be something on this site--

https://www.cyndislist.com/canals.htm

bren

Hi Shady,
Have you read Sheila Stewart's book Ramlin Rose, The Boatwoman's Story? A great history of the times with wonderful pictures.
Regards, Biddy

Back