• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Can anyone place this photo?

S

Stitcher

fv.jpeg
No prizes for getting this correct, it is not a competition. Whilst sorting I came across this and I have no idea why I have kept it or where it is.

Thank you both, now I know where it is I still can not think why I would have saved it.
I might be having a senior moment and it will probably come to me later.
Thanks again.

Well stitch;
yes its confirmed its the fox and goose and its long before they redezigned that plot;
meaning the little shopping mal was ever thought on and with the shopping precint that was behind it ;
so the question you could asked your self did you do the door man there or was it a celebration ; or weddings or some family occasion meeting
or met an old pal there ; i like did once many years ago ; or may be you over looked that peice of paper or wrapped some think up
or may be you should think back to what year it was it looked like at that period it had been snowing ;
i can recall a shooting there way back in the seventys and i think it was then on they brought the door crew in to supervise ;
have a nice dat stitch; best wishes astonian;;

The photograph must pre-date the start of WWII because I can remember the Fox & Goose from when I was a small child immediately after the war.

Even then there was a roundabout at the cross roads, and this is not shown in the picture.

It looks as though the photograph was taken from some considerable height and the building that was in that position in the 1940s was the Beaufort Cinema so, possibly, it was shot from the upper windows or even the roof of that.

If that was the case, then I believe that the Beaufort was built in the early to mid 1930s (there's a thread on this board somewhere that gives the actual date) so that means the photograph dates from the mid to late 1930s.

I don't know what was on the site before the Beaufort, so do not know if the building, whatever it was, was sufficiently high to allow that angle of view.

If I remember correctly, the shop on the corner of the row of shops was a tobacconist / confectioners called Dawson's Corner.

It´s going back to before I started school. We lived with Dad´s parents in Monk Road, Ward End & we used to catch the tram up Washwood Heath Road to the Fox & Goose to visit my other grandparents who lived in Stechford Lane. If you look carefully, there is a tram outside the pub. We used to catch the tram home outside Dawsons (before it went posh & became Dawsons Corner). The trams used to clock in there & there was a big stone horesetrough outside the Post Office.

Back