• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Can anyone identify this Birmingham house, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interestingly an Edward Lingard Stevens is listed in 1897 Kelly's at Rosedale, St Agnes Road Moseley. (Is this a coincidence?) I have done a google "walk" and don't think the house is there. If Morturn sees this he might be able to see if there is a house still called that.

Last edited:
Geo Lingard seems to have been pretty active in the Moseley community- here’s an advert for Moseley Institute from 1882 - the address for G Lingard is given as 273 Moseley Road. Viv.

Attachments

• CFDEC0E9-9CDD-47EF-BE68-E61638EC593F.jpeg
    CFDEC0E9-9CDD-47EF-BE68-E61638EC593F.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 7
273 Moseley Road also went by the name of ‘Drayton house ladies college’ for Mrs Lingard’s school in 1882.

An observation. Preparing ladies for Cambridge exams at this time must have been quite advanced. Viv.

A3EC03EB-638B-415F-8260-FD533DDA89A3.jpeg

Thank you - Yes, I have that info, thanks, but I was hoping someone would link that address with the house name Rosedale, or just recognise the house as still existing.
Well, as shown on the map on post 23, it is one of three houses. Below is a larger scale version. None of these three would seem very like the photo, so I am convinced it is not this address. In answer to your question, these houses were all demolished a while ago, and the block is now a row of relatively modern shops

Attachments

• map c1889 showing junction of Brighton and moseley roads.jpg
    map c1889 showing junction of Brighton and moseley roads.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 10
Mrs Lingard had a lot of experience running schools/colleges. This must have been one of her earlier schools in Edgbaston. Sorry, not an answer to the original question, but might be of interest for the family history. Viv.

Attachments

• 686D5A71-C139-4AB2-8164-D983A830E27B.jpeg
    686D5A71-C139-4AB2-8164-D983A830E27B.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 7
Mrs Lingard had a lot of experience running schools/colleges. This must have been one of her earlier schools in Edgbaston. Sorry, not an answer to the original question, but might be of interest for the family history. Viv.
Yes, certainly it's of family-history interest to me. Many thanks.

Interestingly an Edward Lingard Stevens is listed in 1897 Kelly's at Rosedale, St Agnes Road Moseley. (Is this a coincidence?) I have done a google "walk" and don't think the house is there. If Morturn sees this he might be able to see if there is a house still called that.

My wife did some research on the house names in St Agnes Road and identified 39 as Rosedale. The house is still there today opposite the church. This is one of the phots she uncovered.
39 St Agnes Road.jpg

Obviously not the same house Morturn but I wonder if we are being mislead by the black and white original photo, what if it were coloured and shown as red brick instead of the grey look?

The architecture of 39 St. Agnes Road is quite different to the house in the first post. It think it unlikely significant alternations would have been made.

I was thinking why would somebody choose the house name of 'Rosedale', perhaps that's where they originated from.
This is a census record for Alfred Lingard 1871 living in Rosedale East Side Yorkshire, could be significant and indeed you may well have already considered this. Leeman Grove is now called School Row

Attachments

• alfred lingard census 1871.jpg
    alfred lingard census 1871.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Thanks Morturn. Not the house we were looking for but I think there has to be a connection. The chance of a house called Rosedale and a man with the middle name Lingard.

Last edited:
My wife did some research on the house names in St Agnes Road and identified 39 as Rosedale. The house is still there today opposite the church. This is one of the phots she uncovered.
View attachment 144743
Thank you, and your wife, though I'm bound to say there is a very great deal of difference between the two houses. Of course it's hard to say whether or not a very large renovation, or more than one, took place in the interim, but if this IS the same house, every window has been changed (except perhaps the one over the front door), the attic so augmented as to be a whole extra storey, and more, plus of course the style has changed from modest Victorian to grander Victorian downstrairs and faux-Tudor above it. So I'm grateful but would be interested in how she worked out that this was it.

Yes, I posted it to show the house Edward Lingard Stevens in St Agnes Road, not the house in question.
Yes - he was the grandson of George Lingard, so I'm pleased to learn that he was in St Agnes Road in 1897: thank you.

michael i am sure you must have this info but just in case...the probate for georges wife eliz ann lingard was 28th jan 1887 wife of george lingard late of the "firs" trafalgar road moseley..granted to the said george lingard of the firs...coffin manufacturer...estate was £903 12s 4d

lyn

michael i am sure you must have this info but just in case...the probate for georges wife eliz ann lingard was 28th jan 1887 wife of george lingard late of the "firs" trafalgar road moseley..granted to the said george lingard of the firs...coffin manufacturer...estate was £903 12s 4d

lyn
Hi Lyn - Actually I hadn't got round to searching for that, so thank you for giving me the information first! (It makes sense too, but also gives me a previously unknown address for them at the time of her death.)

well michael the family certainly liked that area...here is the probate in case you wish to save it

lyn

probate.jpg

happy to help.. does not help with identifying the mystery house but i was just trying to get a feel for the family i also noticed that georges dad also named george was also a coffin furniture maker address snow hill at the time of georges baptism in 1832...so he followed in dads footsteps

lyn

If not already seen, death notice of Edward in 1943. Viv.

Attachments

• E1B17F3B-4F40-4AE1-852A-34DD76765E55.jpeg
    E1B17F3B-4F40-4AE1-852A-34DD76765E55.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 14
Interesting thread and good to see BHF members have gone at it with gusto. Looking at the original post there is something niggling away in my mind. It just doesn't look right. I think it looks more rural. Could be wrong but I just get that feeling.

yes it could well be more rural kieron...we had another member post an old photo a couple of months ago..probably dated about the same as this one but try as we may we could not find a firm location for it...the only thing we could do was to prove it was not taken in the location that the member thought it could have been...if only folk had written on the back of these old photos..:rolleyes: my dad was a stickler for it so i am quite lucky that i know whos who and where taken on my old family photos...something may still turn up though...never say never

lyn

I have a friend in St Agnes Rd, I sent the picture to her and she is sure this house is in her road. She is going to take a walk down to it tomorrow

I have a friend in St Agnes Rd, I sent the picture to her and she is sure this house is in her road. She is going to take a walk down to it tomorrow
There is some nice domestic architecture in that road. The front gardens generally extend quite a distance from the road whereas this house seems to have a smaller plot at the front.

I've now solved the house mystery - and Keiron, you were right: it was indeed more rural. I tracked it down to Fladbury, Worcestershire, and (a) it's where George Lingard's second wife died (Fladbury was her home town) and (b) the house still exists, altered but still recognisable. Many thanks, therefore, to all who helped and tried to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back