• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Can anyone identify or make any educated guesses about this gentleman?

As far as I could see (and I could be wrong) this guy is wearing something with an odd top button (3 holes - they've not been used that much) and it seems to have a pattern of sorts. There's not much contrast there but the designs seem to be circles or spirals. Neither of these seem to fit with a uniform jacket. But this is something posed and professionally photographed. From that, I'd guess it was a costume of some kind or something traditional for a particular occasion (although I don't know what culture would wear patterned shirts for an occasion). The only people I can think of that would have worn dark patterned shirts at that kind of period were show cowboys (Buffalo Bill and endless lesser figures). Maybe this was the sort of thing sold at such shows although I'd expect to see a name on there somewhere.

My thoughts are - that the photograph dates 'perhaps' from the Victorian or maybe Edwardian times. Looking at the hair and beard and also the patterned shirt. No hint of a uniform as far as I can see.

My thoughts are - that the photograph dates 'perhaps' from the Victorian or maybe Edwardian times. Looking at the hair and beard and also the patterned shirt. No hint of a uniform as far as I can see.
Yes, Anthea, going by the photographers' studios, the photographs do date to the Victorian era :)

Today I thought to try significantly lightening the photograph, and noticed (or thought I did) a few things.

1. There seems to be some sort of embroidery or something on the collar (red arrow).

2. The so-called X "button holes" do not seem properly on the button itself, as if it might not be part of the button at all.

3. There are light bits going down from the X button (blue arrow) which remind me of those chains the policemen wear (see random policeman photo). What are those chains for, by the by?

Hm. Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• rrr.jpg
    rrr.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 22
  • victorian-cabinet-card-showing-a-young-british-police-constable-collar-no-148s-2A1YCA2.jpg
    victorian-cabinet-card-showing-a-young-british-police-constable-collar-no-148s-2A1YCA2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Police Inspector James Markland of The Bolton Borough Police.jpg
    Police Inspector James Markland of The Bolton Borough Police.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 14
If you’ll pardon the expression, they are to hang your whistle on.

When my brother and I were little ankle biters, we always wanted to blow the various police whistles that were about at my grandparents’ house, grandad was retired, but there were two of his brood in the force, and the answer was always “not too loud or the house will be full of bobbies!”

Last edited:
Back