• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Can anyone help identify signature of photographer - photo taken 1940s

nettiew

proper brummie kid
Hi
I have some old theatrical family photos, but do not know which photographer took them. My family were from Handsworth and normally used Birmingham photographers. The attached photo was taken in the 1940s, because there are only three people in the act and normally my father would have been in it, but he was called to serve his country in the final part of the war - previous to that they were in ENSA.

I'd like to identify the photographer and find out when he/she died and whether copyright still exists (generally lasts for 70 years after the death of the photographer). Ideally I'd like to gain permission to use some of my families theatrical photos in a book I'm writing.

Appreciate any help.

Attachments

• Two Aunts and Uncle in  Theatrical photo.jpg
    Two Aunts and Uncle in Theatrical photo.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 59
I think the word at the very bottom might be London, if that's the case the surname is only 4 letters and could be Frank Dann.
1679432416176.png

Looks like Carrs to me

And probably a coincidence but searching for such in the papers, several of the results are for entertainers, though the first names Robert or Haber don't seem to fit.

Last edited:
Looks like Carrs to me

And probably a coincidence but searching for such in the papers, several of the results are for entertainers, though the first names Robert or Haber don't seem to fit.
Thanks for reply. Yes, could be Carrs but as you say the first names don't fit - still I may check it out anyway.

There was a London firm James Vann.
Cool - that may be it. I'll check it out. Photo has a stamp on the bank, saying: Perfect Photo Repro. Co. - with a Temple Bar address, but I believe this was from reprints i.e. taking the negatives in for extra prints whilst on theatrical tour.

There was a London firm James Vann.
Hi pjmburns - many thanks for info. I'm trying to check out the London Firm, by that name, but can't find it anywhere. I'm new to all this. I'm going to look in newspaper archives - is there anywhere else I could look?

Back