• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

can any one help

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
Hello
I am researching my family background, this has led me through great grandfather Harry Ward Jones(dob 1863) to his mother Jane Jones, and her mother Eliza Jones the latter 2 living in 1861 Wheeler Cottage, Wheeler Street, Aston Manor.
Eliza age 46 described as a Tripe Dresser, her son a Wire Drawer and other house occupants a variety of trades. I would like to better understand the character of the area at the time, if you have any knowledge of Wheeler Cottage and locality.
In the 1841 and 1851 census an Eliza Jones of matching age is recorded at the Erdington workhouse, possibly the same person.
There is a family story that Harry Ward, (no father named on his birth certificate) was the illegitimate son of a son of the Earl of Dudley, who possibly was an engineer, later building bridges in Russia. Would this mean anything to you?
I would be grateful for your comments
Regards
Colin Viccars

The second name of Ward is interesting,that being the family name of the Earls of Dudley.

The Earldom became extinct in 1833 because the Earl died without children.

It was reinstated in 1860 when the Rev. William Humble Ward became the Earl .His first wife died in 1851 childless and he remarried in 1865.

It appears unlikely then that the family story that harrys father was a son of the Earl of Dudley was correct.

Last edited:
I have to say sometimes in history what appears in print isn't always the whole truth, and that there are stories and legends in most families like mine, that in researching one comes up against a brick wall, particularly in the Victorian era with its Puritanical influence in the Church, things got swept under the rug , now no one is alive now to tell the truth.
All you can do John is not to be afraid to use your genealogy research to rewrite your own little bit of history. . . .

Beryl I agree with some of what you say and usually find there is a grain of truth in family legend. But sometimes it is way out. The post is an enquiry sent to John Houghton by Colin Viccars, it is not John's family Beryl.

Colin Viccars, are you still interested in finding out more info on Harry Ward Jones? we could be related. Ann Jones

Colin Viccars, are you still interested in finding out more info on Harry Ward Jones? we could be related. Ann Jones

Anne,

Thank you for posting your response to my enquiry. I would be interested to know more about my Jones family connection. Regards, Colin

My husband's Grandfather was Harry Ward Jones. I understand he was an Engineer and may have had a connection with mining in South Africa. My husband's family always spoke of his family being linked with the Wards of Dudley. I do not know anything about him prior to his marriage, ( HWJ that is). My husband was the last member on this side of the family to carry the name Jones, until after having two daughters we had two sons, but up to now neither has had a son.

Ann
I think we have two people with the same name. I now know that my HWJ married Edith Bickle Penhaligon in Bodmin in 1887,he being a railway engineer's fitter, the same occupation is shown on his daughter's (my Grandmother's) wedding certificate in 1917. It seems unlikely he travelled before or after thase dates to work abroad. Interesting that a a supposed connection to the Wards has circulated in two families independently. Thank you for your reply. Regards, Colin

... her son a Wire Drawer .../QUOTE]

I understand Wire Drawing was part of the Brushmakers trade as I think you may already know https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34875&p=370868#post370868

"Brush Drawing (or Wire Drawing)
Before efficient glues were invented the only way of "sticking" bristles to a brush-stock was by using hot pitch. This method was used up till this century for brooms and household brushes. It was known as "pan-work" as it entailed using a pan of warm pitch.
However, this was no good for making small personal brushes as the pitch would get in your hair. Also pitch was very limited in its water resistant qualities when used with hot soapy water etc. The way around this was "drawing", and this was the first aspect of the craft a brushmaker's apprentice would be taught.

In drawing, a wooden brush back is made and holes drilled though it to take the knots of bristle. This part of the brush would usually be the part that included the wooden handle. The holes were each drilled with two bits, one wider than the other so that half of the hole was of a larger bore.
A length of wire or thin twine was then passed in loops through the holes from the back of the brush. A small bundle of bristles, about two inches or so long was then pushed through each loop, so that as the loop was pulled from behind the brush back the bristles folded over into the wider part of the hole and were held tight as the wire or twine was pulled.
"

My husbands family were wire drawers in the late 1880s.

A wire drawer made wire from thicker metals.

Wire drawers from Birmingham were much sought after by the steel mills in USA and
my husbands gt/grandfather went to Pennsylvania to work.

Hi Colin, we are talking about the same family. Edith Bickle Penhaligon was my husband's Granny,,,,, Born in Bodmin. I dont want any other info posted on this site let me know if you want to contact me, regards Ann Jones

One experience of Wire drawing
Hello, as I read various comments, I am amazed how much history there is on this website, but also realise how much must have been lost and in a short time span. I served part of an apprenticeship as a silversmith 'Maker Up' in the Jewellery Quarter, Hockley Street, during the late sixties. Much of the trades at that time were still archaic in how they practiced there art and skills. Although the name Silversmith, conjures up the idea of making things with silver, there were a lot of things made from other metals and plated, known as plated work (EPNS, electro plated nickel silver). All this merchandise used wires in a variety of shapes either for decorative, known as beading or functional purposes, typically for such things as hinges for tea, coffee pots, cigarettes cases and jewellery boxes. These wires were made by hand; the process was to pass long strips of metal, from coils, through holes, of different gauges, in metal plates. The process started with larger holes and was repeated until the wire was reduced to the desired thickness and finished pattern, if needed. The bench used, held the plates secured at one end and a large hand wheel at the other which provided sufficient torque.

Regards
Mike

Back