• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camp Hill

I was tinkering a bit with Camp Hill during MOTD and, before hitting the wooden hills, I thought this photograph may interest some, particularly those interested in engineering : https://www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/camp-hill/index.html#Test

I believe this to be a rare image in that it shows the Camp Hill Flyover being erected BEFORE the actual construction date. Any thoughts welcomed of course.

Night night

not sure which photo you mean keiron but quite a few before it was finished were posted on this thead some years ago

lyn

not sure which photo you mean keiron but quite a few before it was finished were posted on this thead some years ago

lyn

Lyn, you cannot have looked properly .. I have uploaded a few images of the bridge being constructed in a DIFFERENT location BEFORE it was erected between High Street Bordesley and Camp Hill. These images are not featured on the thread you mention.

Viv

The photo that you have posted is the one that started this thread, but it has one piece of information that the others lack, and that is the date of 1875. This beings some 5 to 8 years before K.E.G.S. opened making it entirely possible that the old post office was the site of the school.

Nearly but not quite. The post-office was towards the left of this postcard view. The building to the right, however, almost certainly occupied part of the site used for the original school building. It was formerly the residence of the surgeon Henry Cox.

picture 1 Daily walk term time 1951-56 up from High St Bordesley
picture 3 As Boy Scouts we practiced urban tracking, involved chalk marks on pavements along this stretch of road and neighbourhood.
The properties on the left of "446" were the view from school art room windows, I was once complimented on an "impressionist style" painting I produced, not intended, I just couldn't draw any better, I had to look up what it meant, perhaps I should have said that I thought it was a compliment!

Last edited:
Was this the station corner of Moseley Rd and Highgate Rd
1711989579917.jpeg

Today a frequent mention is made of 'land grabs'. Looking at the older maps of the original city it seems that Birmingham lead the field in earlier times. ;)

So would Camp Hill station be the terminus of the Birmingham and Gloucester railway?

I see from the map on #76 that there is a spur off to the left of the line beyond the passenger
station would that possibly have been for run round and servicing?

I don't know Camp Hill very well and this may muddy things but in 1868 Kelly's directory refers to a Post Office Receiving House. It seems to be further up the road away from the Ship. To confuse matters the numbering seems different as well.
View attachment 99460
Janice

Hi Janice, I was intrigued by this so have done a little digging myself. I have posted some notes at www.midlandspubs.co.uk/birmingham/stratford-road/ which may help - or add to the confusion :confused:

The above link should take you to a map from the turn of the (19th/20th) century. If I've got this right you should see the goods station at the top with a web of different lines going off the main one. At the bottom of the screen there's a black blob on highgate road simply marked Sta. Both of these were called Camp Hill. The bottom one was Camp Hill/Balsall Heath a local passenger station and the top one is the goods station. They're not very close together. If you drag the map down you should be able to see Stratford Place and the Grammar School on the other side of Camp Hill/Stratford Road.
These maps can be very useful although there aren't as many as there appear to be.

Back