• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camera / Photographic shops

The advice part is most important when I have something new. I tend to adopt “when all else fails read the instructions “. We were celebrating our 50th with a river cruise starting in Amsterdam, my wife’s cousin and the camara shop told me to use the fastest SD cards I could get. Also took a lesson at the camera shop in taking photos in low light. I was able to take wonderful non flash photos inside of cathedrals using an 18 to 300mm lens. I had no idea that was possible.
Yes, sometimes only a real camera and lenses can give you what you want or even show you possibilities you hadn't thought of. I couldn't have taken this on a camera phone, though I use mine for everyday snaps. DSCF3012.jpeg

Yes, sometimes only a real camera and lenses can give you what you want or even show you possibilities you hadn't thought of. I couldn't have taken this on a camera phone, though I use mine for everyday snaps. View attachment 170753
Stokkie, super picture and wonderful color contrast and balance. I am hoping take a class on landscape photography since I do not do a very good job of it.

Stokkie, super picture and wonderful color contrast and balance. I am hoping take a class on landscape photography since I do not do a very good job of it.
Thanks Richard. I agree a lesson or course with a photographer of experience or someone whose style you like can be rewarding. Current cameras are a computer with a lens or lenses attached. I have limited experience with flash or studio lighting, there is always something more to learn. As you know the decent shops will take time to explain use of your equipment or even if you 'need' a medium format camera for landscape. Usually unless you intend to make big prints then you could spend your money more wisely. The menu systems are easier to use on some cameras too. In a shop you can hold the camera and see how easy or not it is to use. And for bird or landscape, how easy it is to carry!

Thanks Richard. I agree a lesson or course with a photographer of experience or someone whose style you like can be rewarding. Current cameras are a computer with a lens or lenses attached. I have limited experience with flash or studio lighting, there is always something more to learn. As you know the decent shops will take time to explain use of your equipment or even if you 'need' a medium format camera for landscape. Usually unless you intend to make big prints then you could spend your money more wisely. The menu systems are easier to use on some cameras too. In a shop you can hold the camera and see how easy or not it is to use. And for bird or landscape, how easy it is to carry!
You are correct about a computer with a lens. The fellow who gave me the lessons cautioned me about leaving it alone to long during the learning period. Every time I use mine which is not often enough I learn something. Sometimes what not to do then I surprise myself!

Does London Camera Exchange still exist ? I have bought from them in several cities, despite the name.

I keep hearing that the best camera is the one you have with you at the time. These days probably a mobile phone for most people, unless you are a photographer with a purpose.

You are correct about a computer with a lens. The fellow who gave me the lessons cautioned me about leaving it alone to long during the learning period. Every time I use mine which is not often enough I learn something. Sometimes what not to do then I surprise myself!

I think a big advantage with digital cameras of whatever style, is the ability to practice and to play with settings to see what happens at zero cost other than time. Don't like it -- press delete. For photographers, the modern cameras try to take over, to give you their idea of what you really want. Fine for casual snappers. Unless you set your apparatus to manual, you can miss out on a lot of the fun of learning. Bokeh effect is fun in a darkroom.

Andrew.

Does London Camera Exchange still exist ? I have bought from them in several cities, despite the name.

I keep hearing that the best camera is the one you have with you at the time. These days probably a mobile phone for most people, unless you are a photographer with a purpose.

I think a big advantage with digital cameras of whatever style, is the ability to practice and to play with settings to see what happens at zero cost other than time. Don't like it -- press delete. For photographers, the modern cameras try to take over, to give you their idea of what you really want. Fine for casual snappers. Unless you set your apparatus to manual, you can miss out on a lot of the fun of learning. Bokeh effect is fun in a darkroom.

Andrew.
London Camera exchange in Worcester or Leamington and other places as well. They have a website and sell secondhand.

Back