• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kempson & Kindon Calendar Medal

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This is an 1808 calendar medal made by Kempson and Kindon of Birmingham. Interesting brass item, but it must have worn a hole in a few pockets. First time I've ever seen one of these.

A bit of history about these and Kempson & Kindon

Peter Kempson struck single year calendar medals from 1796 to 1826, on his own as P. Kempson (1796-1801), in partnership with James Kindon as Kempson & Kindon (1802-1810), with his son as P. Kempson & Son (1810-1824) and finally as Kempson & Co (1824-1825). Peter Kempson was a Birmingham button-manufacturer who also produced a vast array of tokens for collectors.

Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Very interesting tokens. If they were carried on the person then most likely in a waistcoat pocket which would not wear hard on trouser/breeches pockets. I believe they were intended for clergy, church wardens and other ecclesiastical functionaries as all the peripheral detail refers to church calendars. As they were an annual token abrasion would most likely be small.

Hi, Peter Kempson was my ancestor and I have further info on him.
Peter (1755-1824) had numerous addresses in Birmingham and produced many different tokens for famous commemorative events,
1784 - Great Charles st, including a steel toy manuf business
1785 - 1801 st. Mary's Ro,
1801 - 1823 Little Charles st.
He also had a floor cloth manuf business at Constitution Hill and a warehouse on Oford st, London.
also at albion Mill, 89 Lionel st.
He lived at 'The willows in Moseley, Birmingham *** but i am unable to trace the house so any help in locating it is appreciated ***
His son Henry Charles (1796-1860) traded under the name 'Kempson & son', a gun and pistol manuf based at 15 albion st also being a Carriage lamp manuf.
His son & my ancestor John (1782-1846) was an auctioneer and surveyor based at Cherry st and produced the 1808 & 1810 maps of Birmingham.
John's son Peter Tertius Kempson (1814-1890) was a surgeon born in Kingsinford, staffordshire working in Birmingham. He abandoned his wife & 5 children and emigrated to Canada in 1852. He remarried (bigamist) and had several children, after his Canadian's wife death, he moved to New York and married Juliet Beer, a well known painter & artist. *His american grandson 'st george kempson' became a doctor, politian and owner/editor of Metuchen Times and New York Insurance Times in 1897.
Peter Tertius's decendants remained in staffordshire marrying into my andrew family, who were descendants of cotton mill owners (mid 1700-1850s) in Oldham, Lancashire and vicars in Derbyshire (1850-1928).

Hi, Peter Kempson was my ancestor and I have further info on him.
Peter (1755-1824) had numerous addresses in Birmingham and produced many different tokens for famous commemorative events,
1784 - Great Charles st, including a steel toy manuf business
1785 - 1801 st. Mary's Ro,
1801 - 1823 Little Charles st.
He also had a floor cloth manuf business at Constitution Hill and a warehouse on Oford st, London.
also at albion Mill, 89 Lionel st.
He lived at 'The willows in Moseley, Birmingham *** but i am unable to trace the house so any help in locating it is appreciated ***
His son Henry Charles (1796-1860) traded under the name 'Kempson & son', a gun and pistol manuf based at 15 albion st also being a Carriage lamp manuf.
His son & my ancestor John (1782-1846) was an auctioneer and surveyor based at Cherry st and produced the 1808 & 1810 maps of Birmingham.
John's son Peter Tertius Kempson (1814-1890) was a surgeon born in Kingsinford, staffordshire working in Birmingham. He abandoned his wife & 5 children and emigrated to Canada in 1852. He remarried (bigamist) and had several children, after his Canadian's wife death, he moved to New York and married Juliet Beer, a well known painter & artist. *His american grandson 'st george kempson' became a doctor, politian and owner/editor of Metuchen Times and New York Insurance Times in 1897.
Peter Tertius's decendants remained in staffordshire marrying into my andrew family, who were descendants of cotton mill owners (mid 1700-1850s) in Oldham, Lancashire and vicars in Derbyshire (1850-1928).

John's birth and date are wrong for Henry's, did you swap them put by mistake as his don cant be born before the father. Doing my ancestry and this came up.

Back