• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cake shop and Bakery, Kings Heath

JohnT

Warstock Boy
Does anyone remember a cake shop that was operating in the 1950s (probably before and after too) just a couple of doors up from the Kingsway Cinema? I think it was next to the longstanding newsagents (wish I could remember the name of that shop too).

More importantly, does anyone remember the little service access yard to the rear of these shops that you entered from Poplar Road, just a few yards in from the main road? There was once a small slaughterhouse at the back of that yard, and also a small bakery. This bakery was run by my father, Harry Taylor, for many years. He made all kinds of cakes to supply to the Cake shop referred to above, plus he made wedding cakes, and he had quite a reputation for a side-speciality of his - Pork Pies.

I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers any of this.

Hello John
I have produced a book entitled From King's Heath to the Country, 152 pages of stunning old photographs showing King's Heath to the Maypole and Yardley Wood and Happy Valley. There are photographs of the paper shop (Darlastons) and cake shop (Bailey's) also a couple showing Lashfords, the Butchers on the corner of Poplar Road and one of their yard at the back showing the butchers with two cows there for the chop!
If you would like a copy of the book it is £14.95 plus say £1.50 postage and still available although there are only 50 copies left before it is sold out.
Regards
Barrie Geens

Good to see you on BHF, Barry. Your book Kings Heath to the Country is one of my favourites & to my mind sets the standard for local history books. I kept meaning to review it, but life got in the way.

Hi Barrie

Many thanks for responding to my thread. I'd be delighted to purchase a copy of your book, as I think it will offer the only photos I'm ever likely to get of my father's old work locations. It would be great to read more about Kings Heath in general too.

I wonder if your book has any reference to the Chemist shop (2 or 300 yards further along Kings Heath than Poplar Road, on the right hand side going out of town) that was owned and run by Katherine Woolgrove? Not sure what the name over the shop front was. Originally Mrs Woolgrove owned both this shop and the Chemist shop at Alcester Lanes End, but she sold that branch in the 60's or 70's I think. Mrs Woolgrove died a few years ago, but I know one of her two sons and her only daughter well - the latter living near me now in Sheffield. I may be interested in buying a further copy of your book to give to her. If you have any pictures or comments about her mother's chemist shops that would make it particular attractive.

So how do you want to do this? I can pay through Paypal or send you a cheque. Let me know your details (by private message if you like) and I'll take it from there, sending you my postal address as well.

John

Hi John
Thanks for your message. If you would like to contact me BY P.M. I will look forward to getting a copy to you. There is a picture in the book of a Pharmacy shop at 50 High Street which was near to where you suggested. The name on the shop front was T (or J) H Foden.. The staff are standing outside.

Will look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Barrie Geens

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone remember a cake shop that was operating in the 1950s (probably before and after too) just a couple of doors up from the Kingsway Cinema? I think it was next to the longstanding newsagents (wish I could remember the name of that shop too).

More importantly, does anyone remember the little service access yard to the rear of these shops that you entered from Poplar Road, just a few yards in from the main road? There was once a small slaughterhouse at the back of that yard, and also a small bakery. This bakery was run by my father, Harry Taylor, for many years. He made all kinds of cakes to supply to the Cake shop referred to above, plus he made wedding cakes, and he had quite a reputation for a side-speciality of his - Pork Pies.

I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers any of this.

I suspect that the shop in mind is Vickers (John Thomas Vickers & Sons), 121 High Street (on the north side of the opening to Hoddesdon Place). It was a branch shop of a firm with two shops in High Street, Harborne (15 and 159 in that High Street).

The newasgent's was Darlaston's, as mentioned by Barrie, but the baker he mentions, Bailey's (G R Bailey Ltd), was further down High Street, No 151 (next door but one to Institute Road Primary School). Bailey's was a family firm with family members known by name to regular customers. One of the specialities was currant buns, known as "Bailey's bouncers". For the economical, or for small children, a miniature version, known as "farthing buns" was available, the price, obviously, being a farthing each.

This book is well worth the money and through a Friend I have one winging its way to Australia. It would have been there by now but the person coming over delayed her trip.

Hello JohnT. I,m another ex Warstock boy and bought Barries book last year, some great memories in it, thanks Barrie for publishing it.

Hello JohnT. I,m another ex Warstock boy and bought Barries book last year, some great memories in it, thanks Barrie for publishing it.

Hello John. Glad you enjoyed the book. There is a second volume coming out before Christmas as I have received a lot more photographs from readers which has made it possible. It will be the same format to complement the first edition.
Barrie

King's Heath to the Country Vol 2 is due from the printers week commencing 6th December and will be available from WHSmith in King's Heath along with the other outlets in Earlswood and in Birmingham. It can also be posted by me to any part of the world. A lot of folk have sent me fresh new photographic material of the area which has made the publication of the book possible. There are also a number of 1960s images, a period which although over fifty years ago is still remembered with affection and nostalgia.

Kings Heath to the Country Volume 1 set the standard for books on Birmingham locales, Barrie, so if Volume 2 is even half as good it will be superb.

Barrie has just delivered my "personal" signed copy of his new book and I have been allowed a quick glance at it, before it goes away to Father Christmas, can't wait till Christmas Day to read it properly.

Colin

I am sorry I have not got back to you. i have been rather busy of late and must have missed a few messages.
However, the book is currently only on sale at W H Smith King's Heath and Ambleside Garden Centre at Earlswood. W H Smith in Union Street Birmingham say they are not taking any new books at the moment because of budget restrictions! When the first volume was out the manager at the time was always willing to take the book and it sold well. The new manager obviously doesn't know what she (and the pulic) are missing. I suppose it leaves Alton Douglas more space on the shelves to sell his books! I will be taking some into Ian Allan Book Shop in Stephenson Street on Thursday and the publisher is still working on Waterstones. Failing that I can always post you a copy.
Will look forward to hearing from you.
Barrie

Thank you, Barrie. I have emailed you.
I cannot begin to understand why a shop manager would pick books by the author you mention over yours. There is just no comparison.

About a year ago I spoke to someone in the Waterstones local history section in the Bull Ring (they seemed to be involved in ordering books), and they said that they were always looking for new local books to stock. Mind you, they could have moved on like the Smith's person by now

There certainly seems to be a good appetite for books on Birmingham, Mike. I gather that this is not typical for all cities. Interesting that Birmingham triggers such interest & affection.

Back