• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

caddling

celia

master brummie
dose anybody know where ther word cadderling comes from and what it means
my work mates mothers uses it usaly when she is swilling her tea round the cup to fininsh that last drops off
her mother usally shouts STOP CADDERLING
many thanx celia

According to "Proper Brummie" by carl chinn and steve thorne - "to caddle" means to mollycoddle, pamper or spoil.

hi beatrice
i didnt know that
my mats mother whos in her 70's has always used it when she coped someone swilling their tea round their cup
didnt realise it meant to spoil
learn something new everyday :)
manythanx
celia

Don't thank me Celia. Carl Chinn and his mate did all the work - I just looked it up.

I guess in your mates Mom's case she was suggesting that the tea had had enough attention.

It is a new word to me - I'd never heard it before so thanks for sharing it.

Back