• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

butler william of mitchells & BUtler

mark young

proper brummie kid
I am researching the life of Sir William Waters butler, his family and the brewery, Mitchells & Butler.
Any information from living employess at Cape Hill of great interest.
Also: the building of the brewery, the wells, the farm etc
Literally ANYTHING of interest

Re: william butler mitchells & BUtler

Helloe Mark

I don't know if you have any of the following?

Suzanne

Here's a mention of his son, William Owen Butler's death and an obituary for William W Butler.
The address 'Southfield' in Edgbaston is mentioned, which from the electoral rolls showed them living there, with Emily Mary Butler, (wife and mother). Obviously after both Williams' deaths she is listed there alone (apart from the servants I believe) up to 1950. She may be there after but only have online access to 1950.
Southfield, 16 Norfolk Rd, Edgbaston.
The 1918 absent voter's list has william owen listed there and his army rank - 2nd Lieutenant 5th Batt R War R, which is interesting because one of the previous articles mentions William W's donation to that regiment.

Sorry if you have all this already.

Suzanne

Hi Mark

As per your IM here's a bit more.

Suzanne

Hi Mark,

Just a small item. Their telegraphic address was Artesian Birmingham, so they must have
been very proud of their independence from mains water.

Kind regards
Dave

I am researching the life of Sir William Waters butler, his family and the brewery, Mitchells & Butler.
Any information from living employess at Cape Hill of great interest.
Also: the building of the brewery, the wells, the farm etc
Literally ANYTHING of interest
Hello Mark,
Probably a bit obscure for you, but I researched the history of bicycle racing at Mitchell’s and Butler Cape Hill for my old velodromes website.
This is a link https://oldvelodromes.co.uk/HTML tracks/52.html

Best wishes, Tony Baxter

Back