• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Burrows (Sydney )

Status
Not open for further replies.

KARENW

knowlegable brummie
Hi can anyone help with any information concerning a Sydney Burrows who I believe lived in May Lane, Kingsheath in the 1950's-60's. He was the foreman at a factory but can't remember what it was called unfortunately and had a son called Michael who may have emigrated.I believe Sydney Burrows may have passed away around 1968. I can't find any info regarding this so if anyone can help, I would be very grateful.

Hi Bewdley,
Thank you for that info. I don't suppose you know when he died do you and if there is a son. I've looked before and can't find any info for either of these queries?
Many thanks again

Karen - I haven't been able to find a death either, the address info I got from the electoral rolls: so I don't know if there was a son. bewdley

Hi there
For some reason of another I think our missing stanley burrows could be the missing son as a Mrs burrows went to Portugal
Many years ago with a man whom could have been Sidney burrows and apparently came back with a gentleman called Joseph
Whom was a police officer in Portugal and got married his mother eventually died and him and Joseph never got on
And Stanley ending up in care for none attending school I do have a reason why I have said this but I do not want to repeat what was said
I previuoly stated Stanley on here before along with an sister whom put her help. Request on this forum in search in for Stan
And I did put and told the sister information about Stan attending ickneild street in my days we was in the same class
And that Stan had a social worker involved with him and how he was sent to south Wales boarding school in the fifths
Marjoria did divorce his orinigianl father whilst living in Shockley and I have reason to believe by conversation that his original father was also named said
But he over shouted to his other friends that is father was a step father Joseph a police officer he was in Portugal and that's where his mom met him
And he stated there and then he does not like him and does not get on with him
But as I say its habit of coincidence to be or not to be I know of people especially male population do. Turn there back on there sibbling
For some reason or another from previous marriages as we all know they do well I know I do one or two the qeustin being was said married before or not may be
Best wishes astonian,,,,,

The problem is there are several Sydney Burrows who died around 1968 but none in Birmingham. The closest seems to be in Bromsgrove in 1971 - do you know when he was born?

Janice

Hi Bewdley,
It's getting more complicated by the minute, Astonian has just told me the missing son could be Stanley and not Michael as we thought. Do you know who May was to Sydney when they were living in May Lane in 1955. Was she his wife or mother as there seems to be a mention of Marjorie later on as his wife so it's becoming a real puzzlement?
Thanks Karen

Hi Astonian,
How strange is this story, we thought Sydney's son was called Michael? All I do know for definite was that Sydney Burrows was still living in May Lane in 1967-68 and that he was Foreman of a factory in the Aston area I think. Was Marjorie also known May do you know as she is mentioned on the Electoral rolls in 1955? I wonder if this is all connected and how strange that a sister is looking too? Do you know what happened to Stanley's Biological father?
Thanks again for all your info
Karen

Hi Janice,
No that's the problem, we don't. All we do know for definite was that he was still living in May Lane in 1967-68 Kingsheath area. I thought it was confusing at the start with not knowing his age but after seeing all other bits of info that people have sent me, it gets worse by the minute!!!!!If what we were told was true, he should have definitely passed away in 1968 but like you have said there is no trace of him, it's so strange.
Thanks for your help
Karen

You might know this already but if you can get to Birmingham library then you can check May Lane on the census records and see when he was no longer listed. You could also trace it back to see when he was first listed and who with.

There is a marriage of a Sydney Burrows to May Sercombe or Sorrill (the same marriage seems to be listed twice) in the first quarter of 1951. There is also a marriage of a May Sorrill to Gilbert Sercombe in 1939 - so it looks as if May was married before. Could Sydney have been married before as well? There is a tree on Ancestry suggesting that a Sydney Burrows born in 1919 married to Mary Sorrill died in 1973 in Hereford. It also implies there were 3 children but as they are alive I cannot see their details.

I have just found that May Sercombe lived at 64 May Lane in 1945 so it looks as if Sydney moved in after the marriage. There are also registrations for a child Jon 1943,as Burrows but I also found Jon as Sercombe with Mother Sorrill - was he adopted by Sydney?

Janice

Last edited:
Hi Janice,
Thank you so much for this info. I've just found out apparently Sydney was married before so you were right about that and yes it would be a good idea to go to the library and look at the records to see how long they were there for at May Lane. We knew there was one son but now there is a query as both Jon and Stanley have been mentioned, so where the 3 children come in, goodness knows!!! Maybe that is why we can't find any details for a death in Birmingham for him as it was in another county. Still strange though as it doesn't match up with the year 1968? The plot thickens and I think a visit to the library might be next on the list. Thanks again for all your help and everyone else that has offered info on this.
Karen

Hi Karen
The sister I believe is an half sister to Stanley as I have taken if you have not logged on to old ladywood forum site this lady states he is the brother
Being a half brother only in her version of looking for Stan and not Sidney as you are please long on to there site only for her reason only I suggest and you will learn of her story and you will see what I told her you have to go through habit to get to the requests
She had no replays I do not think only mind because I knew Stanley very well in school along with his mates there was three of them
I son,t think I can tell you on this open thread the identy I know heart and soul if we could make contact with these three guys
As they all lived in the same school and close to each other after schooling as well alterive would be contacting
The boarding school in south wales or the local social services in brum record Stan went to tymawr school gilwern nor, abergavenny Monmouth sh

I have an interest in this case and I to would dearly love to. Match up with Stan best wishes astonian,,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
Karen, all this info must be making you go around in circles and most of it appears to be 'non verified'

the best option is to get the marriage licence of Sydney Burrows and May R Sercombe formerly Sorrill.
this will tell you if Sydney was married before and his age and will give his fathers name and occupation.
May would have to use her maiden name to register children and there are 3 Burrows/Sorrill births
Jon A 1943,Lynn J 1946, Joyce T 1948 so it appears that May and Sydney were together before the marriage.

I see that you also bring in the name Marjorie.
Marjorie Burrows married Jozef Gola in 1956 but she uses Burrows as her maiden name in the registration of their daughter.
That marriage certificate may also help. telling if she was single and her fathers name etc.

Certificates can be obtained from Birmingham registry office, in person or by post , they are about £10 each.
In my opinion when researching family tree they are the best money spent as it gives verified information and does not rely on peoples memories which are sometimes clouded.

The post on the Ladywood site stated by Astonian is for Marjorie and Josef Gola and says that the poster had heard there may be a son Stanley but as you will see from post 14 I can find no proof of this at all, but neither can i find proof of Marjorie D Burrows birth so the certs will be worth getting.

Best of luck , Alberta.

Last edited:
Astonian, I have seen 2 births which would fit your schoolfriend, Stanley Burrows born 1944 parents George and Laura or Stanley Burrows born 1946
parents Stanley and Jean both boys had 2 sisters.

Neither of these relates to Karens query as she is searching for Sydney Burrows. regards Alberta.

Last edited:
Hi Alberta
Given what I know Stanley would be 1946 and the stepfather was definitely Josef the polish man with Marjorie
And left his father relationship for Joseph astonian,,,,

Hi Alberta
I have just picked up on your full thread regarding both names and regarding Joseph and Marjorie burrows I presume you hav got that address of
There marriage between Joe and Marjorie and the district they was married in is it possible you can disclose that please astonian,,,,

Hi Astonian,
What have I started here? Do you happen to know why Stanley had nothing to do with his natural father Sydney after his mother met Josef? I thought being as he never got on with his stepfather he would have gone and lived with his real dad instead. Did he ever mention anything about this do you know?
Thank you again everyone for trying to help me sort out this puzzlement!!!!!

Hi Karen
Regarding Stanley a great kid with a good sense of humour made everybody smile out going kid in school and out side school
That the fact Doris as he always called her his mother never referred to her. By her first name of Marjorie
For some reason all I can say he was rather upset when his mother left his dad for Jozef whom she met in Portugal
And she came back with this Jozef who apparently she married and if my memory serves me correctly the expression was she married before coming back home
To hockley this Jozef was now is new dad but Stan resented Jozef he was always shouting and bulling Stan for some reason
After a couple of years she died I cannot be sure of the date so it was Stan and this Josef and they never gone on
In the mean time dads natural father had moved out as son as this guy moved Doris said she does not love him anymore
Poor old Stan did not know where is father as gone to and as far as I am conceren he never learnt as far as I know
Stand met up with local kids in the street and came and went home together there was three of his mates whom was not the sort I would like to know
And at weekends they would encourage him to come with them up to know good
I do know what they done but I will not disclose on this forum
But the fact was stans father lost control because of Doris just like any other man would do get out and he turned his back on Stan
Then his mother died and that was it stans was only 13 years old in those days vonderful
Then the school got involved and social worker from the Birmingham area they put Stan in the mosely road home with the delinquents

Best wishes Karen astonian,,,

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that this thread is straying somewhat from Karens first query for Sydney Burrows.
I have not found any evidence in records of Sydney marrying a Marjorie or having a son Stanley
Marjorie Doris Burrows did not marry Jozef abroad she married him in 1956 in Birmingham

If as you say the stanley you knew was born 1946 i can find no birth with mother Marjorie and I can find no record of her death around the years that the Stanley born 1946 would have been 13

For this reason I am closing the thread until I have heard back from Karen or we could be going round in circles for ever.

If anyone has any further info about Karens first post please message me and I will reopen the thread. Alberta

Karen is just interested in any info about the Sydney Burrows and May R Sercombe nee Sorrill and their children who are
Jon A,Lynne J and Joyce T. who lived in May lane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back