• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Burbury Street

lyn
that would be wonderful i only have two photos taken in the back yard of wellersley steet and a photo of my hubbys aunts wedding taken outside the church on the corner of bsw and villia street in 1940
there used to be a little factory in farm street owned by mr fisher they use to make brass nick knacks ( letter racks -bells and brass blackpool tower) he was a friend of my hubbys uncle we still have a few things they made somewhere in the shed

josie i will do my best to get them on today...the church hubbys aunt married at as you probably know would be st saviours...if you go to the st saviours church thread i have posted a pic on there of it it will be a repost so check all the posts...my mom was christened there and my gt gran lived just a fews doors down at no 32 villa st..how great to have a few nick knacks made by mr fisher..things like that just cant be replaced...

lyn

Jodie - I remember Mr Bayliss well, he was forever smacking me across the back of my head for talking in Maths lessons... Mabz

lyn
will look through church thread see what i can find
thanks josie

ok josie let me know if you have any probs finding it...sorry i have not posted the farm st pics yet but ive been quite busy with family stuff this weekend...will hopefully get them on tomorrow for you...

lyn

I was born in 1965 and we have some cine film of Burbury Street in 1966
I dont know how to embed them and if someone can please do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXdSYtwzxWg
I don't know the lady with all the children but the lady with me in the pram is my Nan, Jessie Kelly who lived at 189 Burbury Street next door to the bootmenders

This link is the same, my Nan with me again but we are fairly confident that the Lady my Nan is talking to is Mrs Pemberton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuTIyASYeQQ

I went to Anglesey Street school as did my Dad ( John Kelly born 1940 ) My Auntie ( Janet Kelly born 1938 ) and my uncle ( William(BILL) Kelly born 1936)

We lived with my Nan at 189 then we moved over the road to 186 Burbury Street then we moved to 183 Burbury Street which was the newsagents
My Dad worked for Harry Bartlett the butchers in Nursery Road up until I was born 1965

We left Burbury street newsagents in 1972 but handed the shop to my Aunty Janet who ran it for some time after.

wow how wonderful to have that cine film...everyone looks so excited to be in on it and how well i remember those tassell fringes on the pram canopys...harry bartlett was our local butcher so your dad must have served our mom many times..we lived in villa st from 1958 to 1972..what a wonderful bit of family history you have there thank you so much for sharing it with us and if you have any photos we would love to see them too...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I just wondered if anyone knew of a Cunningham family that lived in 109 Burbury st from around 1955. They were called James and Bridie and were my grandparents. My dad is called Tommy Cunningham and he has 3 brothers called Seamus, John and Gerard, and 2 sisters called Anne and Elizabeth.

Lisa x

I was at school with Seamus Cunningham. He was a year or two older than me. He went to Harry Lucas school, when the rest of us went to Blessed John Wall. The junior school was St Francis. I remember him being a very good boxer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXdSYtwzxWg
I don't know the lady with all the children but the lady with me in the pram is my Nan, Jessie Kelly who lived at 189 Burbury Street next door to the bootmenders

This link is the same, my Nan with me again but we are fairly confident that the Lady my Nan is talking to is Mrs Pemberton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuTIyASYeQQ

I went to Anglesey Street school as did my Dad ( John Kelly born 1940 ) My Auntie ( Janet Kelly born 1938 ) and my uncle ( William(BILL) Kelly born 1936)

We lived with my Nan at 189 then we moved over the road to 186 Burbury Street then we moved to 183 Burbury Street which was the newsagents
My Dad worked for Harry Bartlett the butchers in Nursery Road up until I was born 1965

We left Burbury street newsagents in 1972 but handed the shop to my Aunty Janet who ran it for some time after.

Hi, we were born in the same year in Burbury Street. I also went to Anglesey Street School. I seem to remember either a John or an Alan Kelly (it was such a long time ago). I was Julie Dauncey in those days, friends I remember from Anglesey Street School were Alison Nash or Alison Nicholls (think she lived in Burbury Street too) an asian lad Fazal Khan, Kamala Kumar (Church Street)

I worked as a paper boy in the newsagents around 1966. I am pretty sure the family running it were called Kelly. My mom worked for them as a cleaner. I remember Mrs Kelly particularly as she really looked after us. Mom told us they went back to Ireland. Would love to know if it was the same family.

Hello mojorising21

My dad Tommy Cunningham used to do boxing, he said there was another Seamus Cunningham they knew of that lived on the same road, but it was'nt his brother Seamus.

Thank you for replying tho

From lisap

does anyone remember a family called "collie" or "colley" not sure of the spelling we lived on the lower part of burbury st towards the park not sure of the house number now 147 rings a bell, we lived a coule of doors down from a family called "stack" Lawrence and James i think.

E Bailey Grocery Shop On The Corner Of Burbury Street, early 1960s.
31670606_10208753885684492_6718685231680847872_n.jpg

I thought you would like these photos taken recently by a friend of mine who has given me permission to use them. 135902

Hello all. Does anyone have a copy of the Youtube video ? it cant be watched now as "The account associated with the content has been closed " I would love to see it.

hello jkcornwall if you are still looking in on the forum is there any chance that you could repost the video footage you have of burbury st please as it is not longer available to watch on youtube...many thanks

lyn

Hello all. Does anyone have a copy of the Youtube video ? it cant be watched now as "The account associated with the content has been closed " I would love to see it.
hello jkcornwall if you are still looking in on the forum is there any chance that you could repost the video footage you have of burbury st please as it is not longer available to watch on youtube...many thanks

lyn

lyn
You tube took down the video
happy to attach but file too big (11.7 mb )
Any suggestions ??

hello jkcornwall thanks for getting back to me...i wonder if you could email it to me that may work...i have sent you a private message with my email address if you could give it a go that would be great

lyn

Last edited:
Lyn,

It's officially too big for an email (10 MB max). Split it with WinZip or something similar and send it in two emails. Not sure what the limits are on DropBox.

Maurice

thanks maurice if jkcornwall knows the way around computers that maybe possible but if not we will have to leave it...

lyn

thanks mike but its a short video clip that i need does we transfer also work with those

lyn

Yes that should be fine. The clip is too large for email but quite small for wetransfer. Dropbox would be OK but you need to subscribe for that. You can use wetransfer for a one off

lyn
have sent 2 new emails - managed to convert to mp4 format - they work on preview now :)

sorry folks i have tried to upload johns cine film clips of burbury st but the files are too big for the forum...my son said there is no way of reducing these...

lyn

Back