• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bullock street nechells

morris

master brummie
Does anyone know why this road was called bullock street as my mothers maiden name was bullock and i was wondering if it had anything to do with our descendants
kind regards reg morris

The street is first mentioned in directories in 1883. Then and before that there was a Thomas Bullock & Son , button manufacturers at Bullock Steam Mills, in Cliveland St, but this was some distance away. Thomas and others in his family (W.Bullock) served as governors of the Queens Hospital and subscribed to public appeals, and so is the sort of person that might have a street named after him, but, as far as I can see, he wa snot particularly prominent. There was an Alfred
Bullock, swho seems to have some property interests, but his main works were in Commerical st, even further away

many thanks, i know we had gunsmiths in family and i was wondering if it was named after him.
Kind regards reg morris

I know we have a thread for a Bullock Street in Nechells, but this is labelled as in Handsworth. Was there ever a Bullock Street in Handsworth ? Photo is c1960. Viv.

A38C130E-1A37-477E-9143-9D6687319475.jpeg

According to Wakelin's there was only a Bullock st in Birmingham 7 Nechells, ran from 259 Windsor st to Proctor st.

Back