• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Ring now Bullring

• Thread starter maxwell bullivant
  • Start date
It seems to be an unfortunate fact of life that many, who should acquaint themselves better, choose inappropriate or incorrect names for areas and structures. I think anyone wherever they live, who knows of the Bull Ring in Birmingham, will know that its title is two separate words.

It seems to me that folk who possess no affinity or connection with places that they choose to name write down the first name that enters their heads. I hope Birmingham citizens, of whatever heritage, will continue to use the description Bull Ring.

We have a newish estate of houses built here upon a hillside but was named by the developers with the suffix 'combe'. Now coombe/combe (cwm in Welsh) means valley!!

As mentioned earlier on it is only the shopping complex that has been named 'Bullring' NOT the area nor the markets - hardly cause for concern surely?

Thanks Max.

I remember looking at the site of the Indoor Market around 10 years ago when they were building it (from that bridge on Smallbrook Queensway). Think they were doing some archaelogical dig. Can't recall what was on that site before though.

I wish I had a camera (on me) when the previous Bull Ring was on site. I kept walking through it in the late '90s (up to about 2000).

Thanks Max.

I remember looking at the site of the Indoor Market around 10 years ago when they were building it (from that bridge on Smallbrook Queensway). Think they were doing some archaelogical dig. Can't recall what was on that site before though.

I wish I had a camera (on me) when the previous Bull Ring was on site. I kept walking through it in the late '90s (up to about 2000).
I have a book somewhere which is about the archeology around The Bull Ring, i will sort it out, and post on this thread if folk dont object any pictures of interest ( i have toooooo many books Ha Ha ) Max

There's these 4 interesting signs around the Bullring from Park Street, High Street, Edgbaston Street and St Martin's Square.

Note - they have moved the St Martin's Square one while they are redeveloping Spiceal Street.

Bullring Birmingham - no. 4 - Park Street - history info board by ell brown, on Flickr

Bullring Birmingham - no. 1 - High Street - history info board by ell brown, on Flickr

Bullring Birmingham - no. 2 - Edgbaston Street - history info board by ell brown, on Flickr

Bullring Birmingham - no. 3 - St Martin's Square - history info board by ell brown, on Flickr

To read them (if possible) click into my Flickr, select Actions then View All Sizes then click Original (if you can't read them in Large).

As mentioned earlier on it is only the shopping complex that has been named 'Bullring' NOT the area nor the markets - hardly cause for concern surely?

Sorry mate but on this point we have to disagree , our historic names are being "thrown out" into the miskin, i recently received a pamphlet from BCC outlining their plans for Bordesley Park !!! Will that mean that famous old areas IE Adderley Park, Small Heath,Alum Rock &etc will loose their names, to become Bordesley Park ( i am still awaiting a reply from BCCto confirm or deny) .
I know the forward thinking and the passion of Brummies to improve our lot has made Birmingham what it is today, but should we not consider that future governments, or free thinkers , may think that Birmingham as "The second City" should have its name changed to Little London, or outer Dudley !!!!. Max

I have a book somewhere which is about the archeology around The Bull Ring, i will sort it out, and post on this thread if folk dont object any pictures of interest ( i have toooooo many books Ha Ha ) Max

Max, your archaeology pictures will be most intersting, to myself anyway. An acquaintance of mine-Pogus Caesar-has forefronted on his design and history website the excavations for the "new" bullring makeover a few years ago. Here's the link:-

www.oomgallery.co.uk/gallery.asp?location=42&c=78527

Hi guys ;
let the dummies within the council call it what they like because us oldens ain,t gonna change ; we are true brummies with our own lingo ;
but there again they are trying to compete with our europeans countryies and most of our older boys schools brigade have gone
and we certainly have a different generation in there now whom want to be remembered ;
remember the old saying ; make a out rageous statement routine and you will make a name for your self change an old policy and rules you make a name
for your self ; i dread to think of brum in another ten years with the state of the planning dep; and with in the councl a free for all
freinds of freinds being elected whom don,t know there left from the right are making a mockery and a mess of our dear olld brum

My guess is the name "BullRing" was chosen so they could trademark it and then use it in advertising etc.

It may be that "Bull Ring" was already being used by someone else so could not be trademarked.

I don't think one can trademark a phrase that is already commonly in use for some time, even if the most crooked of lawyers is dealing with it. You have to use a phrase which is not in general use, or deform one that is. That is what has happened here. In any case it can be challenged by any party that considers it wrong. Google maps, unfortunately has already been corrupted, and, if you put in "Bull ring", it instantly asks "Do you mean Bullring?" However, if you look at the Old Maps site and put in "Bull Ring" you get asked if you want (as well as Birmingham) Buckingham, Hay on Wye, Northwich, Dunmow, Mitcheldean, Sandown, Horncastle, Halesowen, Wakefield, Kidderminster, Stafford, Claverley, Loughborough, Pontycun, Deddington, Thrapston, Brdgenorth, Ludlow, Much Wenlock, Grimsby, Leamington Spa, Nuneaton, Dudley, or Worcester . I think all these could object if the dubious commercial PR men tried to approriate the namw.

I don't think one can trademark a phrase that is already commonly in use for some time

Microsoft managed to register "Windows" as a tradmark name and the word windows has been in use for centuries.

I rememer a story about when the Marx Brothers tried to make a film called "A Night in Casablanca".

Warner Brothers complained because they already had a film called Casablanca and tried to stop the Marx Brothers film.

Groucho Marx wrote back that the "Marx Brothers" had been brothers before the "Warner Brothers" so they should stop using the name "Warners Brothers".

He never heard any more

Apple are trying to trademark Appstore but they are not getting permission to do so. Amazon have an App Store, as does Microsoft (I think).

You are right about Windows , Guilbert, but i think i am correct in saying that you register in categories. Windows wasn't previously used for any other computor operating system before, but they wouldn't have been able to trademark the word for "Holes covered in transparent material, constructed usually, but not only, in glass or plastic; surrounded in a frame ,often, but not always, constructed of wood, PVC or metal, or some other material; which can or cannot be opened; which can or cannot be covered in a coating for the purpose of retaining heat, stopping glare or removing UV rays, this not to exclude any other coating that those familiar with the art might wish to put on the aforsaid window." They might have been able to trademark its use as a shopping centre though, if no one else had thought of the name before.
Incidently, am I the only person who thinks "Apps" is a horrible word, and should be used only in its ecclesiastical use (all right , I know the spelling is different)
mike

Having quickley scanned the City Council planning portal for details of the original planning application for the Bull Ring area, an example is here: 1998/05539/PA, all reference of the area by the Council is to "Bull Ring". When the development was nearing completion, I seem to recall City Planners objecting to the owners proposing to re-name the site to "Bullring" but they were powerless to prevent it.

I note with interest that the City still promotes it as Bull Ring and we should applaud that. Only when the people of England get behind each other and object strongly, are we liklley to retain names of places. We are fast losing the tradition of Shires and counties - East Riding, West Riding, Warwickshire, Worcestershire etc. wonderful names losing out in favour of places like "Sandwell" - What is Sandwell? and probably more important, where is it? Six black Country Towns lost their identity when Sandwell was formed. Grrrrrr

Phil I still think it should be "The Bullring".
Locally our Pub in Mere Green "The Halfway House" so called cos iy was halfway between somewhere, can't remember , is being refurbished and looks like it will be "The Green House". When it comes down to it the politicians of any party have little influence on our happiness, it is big business, and the marketing men. I hate 5 minutes of advertising every 10 minutes on TV but what can I do about it, voting wont help, Ilikewise I hate my environment, and my heritage being changed by oportunistic marketing people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it was said elsewhere the Bull Ring area has not to my knowledge changed names but the development withing it was named the Bullring by the developers who rarely concern themselves with historic references. Having said that I recall the furoré when the Touchwood development was named thus in Solihull. Loads of objections until it was pointed out that Touchwood was indeed a name connected with Solihull from way back.

There's some flats in Solihull called Touchwood near Lode Lane and Warwick Road.

If you look at Google Maps, there is also a Touchwood Hall Close.

Touchwood Hall, which was in Drury Lane, was demolished in the early 1960's to make way for the Mell Square development.

Considering later events, maybe all the waffle should have been taken with a pinch of salt

Back