• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bull Ring Car Park

I can remember the system only too well from the only time i used it. It would probably be 1968. I left the car with the attendant. When I came back they couldn't find it, and it took them about half an hour to find it, with me hanging about. they then had the nerve ti try and charge me for the extra time i had been hanging about.
Mike

Cheers mikejee

Any idea when it closed ? You tube clip makes it look a big white elephant.

Makes you wonder what planners were thinking ????

Not sure when it closed. After my experience I avoided it like the plague. My experience was not just because of the length of time it took to get it back (as the clip mentions), but they admitted that they couldn't find it
Mike

I think there was a lot of trouble with the lifts failing, and people not being able to get their cars back for days! I don't think it was in use for long.
Some of the space was used afterwards for storage, and 'temporary' offices etc, in the days I worked in the bus station.

I also remember the system; an attendant took your keys and took your car away in a lift. On the occasion I used it with a friend when he got his car back a pair of (then) expensive polaroid sunglasses were missing from the car.

Many thanks to all for replies.

The more I think of this it seems perfect material for a John Cleese comedy sketch (the You tube clip with the Red 1100 reminds me of the skit where Cleese bashes a similar car with a tree!!)

Does any one have any pics of this building ???

Back