• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BSA Testers.

As in Mick Casey from Lea Village? He's around my age,60 next birthday, if he's the chap I'm thinking of.
I may be wrong but I've an idea that he also passengered for our ex- business landlord, Peter Williams, probably on the Hillman Imp engined outfit.
I can't claim to know Mick well but he and I used to frequent Alex's over the same period, when it was over the road from the Albany Hotel.

Ian

PS I've just googled Mick Casey and discovered that he passengered the then British Sidecar Champion Peter Brown at the Isle of Man TT races on more than one occasion, they came second in 1970 on a BSA engined outfit, Peter having worked at BSA.

I spoke to Peter Williams by phone today, he confimed that Mick Casey had passengered with him and told me that he thought that Mick now lives near to the White Hart Pub, which I frequent on occasion. This world is getting smaller!

He didn't think that Vinny had a place in Lea Village but remembered that another BSA sidecar racer lived in a flat above the baker's shop and had a workshop nearby. Chris lived in Aston until moving to Mancetter and from there to Earl Shilton, where he still lives.

Ian

I remember during the late 40s and all through 50s a BSA test rider lived in Gospel Farm Rd. I used to watch in awe as he came home every evening on a different m/bike. I understand he rode for the BSA scramble or moto crass team. I always loved the exhaust sound from the Goldies.

I think he was Bill Nicholson also a picture of BSA testers L to Right George Brown, Ray Armstrong, George Pickering and Jack Clucas. The lad on the right is the pump boy who filled the bikes with petrol and oil ready for test.

Louis Dalby,
that looks like the Bill Nicholson that lived in Leamington rd were he lived with his parents so he could have moved on, Leamington rd was demolished in the 70s so he could have moved to Gospel Farm rd.

Post 12 tells you that Bill Nicholsen lived in Gospel Farm Rd.in 1945 because I remember he would talk to my dad who worked at the BSA. He also spoke to my mom on Saturday mornings when we passed his house on the way to Lakey Lane for the shopping. He lived in Gospel Farm Rd into the 60s.

Stitcher,
It was you that told me the name of the man that lived in Leamington rd, and that photo of him on the scrambler looks like the man i could be wrong it was a long time ago. have a look at page one and scroll up.

frederick, I apologise for the confusion, when I said the mans name was Bill Nicholson I was refering to my parents neighbour and not the man in your picture.

I have added some more pictures on the above site sent to me by Joe Brown Ex BSA Test. They where taken in 1988 when he came over from Aus.

hi.my first job when i left school was the bsa.and i also wished i was a tester.and could go home on any bike.

hello.i loved that place.did you go through test and inspection dept,to go into the final were they kept the finished bikes?
jeff smith was in comp when i was there, he was a nice chap.some times i had to go down to inspection for a bike,then i had a quick ride on it lol. a beagal remember them.

I started in Oct 1949 and left to go to Velocette in 1959. Jeff was an appren'tice during my time. I worked in the motor cycle finish and there is a picture of me outside the dept on the shop hack which was a Gold Flash and BSA sidecar with a 700cc engine. See "flickr" BSA Small Heath.

Hi welder Chris Vincent was a hero of my friends and myself we used to go to Mallory and here there and everywhere.
As it goes i used to go to school with a lad who was a passenger as well and his niece, is on here i,sure she will pick up on this, the last time i went to the motor cycle museum there was one of his outfits there i have a photo somewhere in fact i have got lots from way back when of him in action.
We were at Mallory when fritz shiedegger got killed we were on the hairpin that day sad.. regards dereklcg
I was there that day also.

A picture sent to me by Joe Brown of he's brother Dennis. The house's on the left have long disappeared

[ame="[MEDIA=flickr]5qtr2H[/MEDIA]"]BSA Testers in Armoury Road on Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3271/2902375199_9bab0c658a.jpg?v=0@@AMEPARAM@@2902375199@@AMEPARAM@@9bab0c658a[/ame]
Time to bump this up the charts I think. An excellent site.

When I worked for William Bloye the sculptor in the 1950s on Golden Hillock Rd there was a roundabout and the BSA testers woe a grove in the road testing the BSA 500s twins

Back