• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bruno Schulze Business Records

Hello

Hope you are well. Just a quick update on the Schulze/Smith family.

We visited the Archives and did find references to the business and family, but nothing significant. The business was in Henry Smith's name in 1919 and 1920, then with Fred Schulze in 1921- around the time which we believe Fred married and Henry disappears.

We have had interesting information from Fred and his wife Marie's will. Marie left a significant amount of money mainly to charities, and some was divided among friends and a select few members of family (although not a lot was left to family). We are awaiting the wills of Marie and Bruno Schulze (parents of Fred, and to whom the business originally belonged) to clarify whether Fred was really entitled to the business.

Other than that the big news comes from a newspaper article we put in the Holsworthy Post (Devon) last year. We were recently contacted by a distant relative and we know that a lady called Freda (daughter of Marie, Fred's sister and grand-daughter of Bruno Schulze) is still alive living in Birmingham!

We hope to hear from the family again soon and hope to meet Freda who we feel may have some answers about the whole mystery, Fred would have been her uncle and my grandfather her cousin so hopefully she may be able to clarify what happened with Fred and the business, but may also know what happened to Henry Edward Smith, my great gradfather and why he disappeared!!

Fingers crossed! If we get some answers we will write and thank the newspaper- we hear the Schulze's were the talk of the town when we put the note in the paper and it's already given us a link to another member of family, but they knew less than we did.

I'll let you know if anything comes from this.

Thanks for that update, sez - we hope that you have some success in tracing Freda. A really intriguing story! :)

Maurice :cool:

Back